chapter 35

Chapter Thirty-Five

“Who do you think sent it?” Sephy asked Alec as she looked down at the little first aid box that had different medicines that she had never seen before, next to bandages and fresh water.

“Maybe Galen...” Alec said, exaiming the different contents. In her mind, Sephy didn't think that Galen or Joshua would have been able to get it sent out to her; they had no connections within Eragon's working force. She soon remembered the rebels and wondered if they had sent it out after they saw what happened to her.

“Do you think anyone else got one?” Alec shrugged his shoulders and shook his head.

“I doubt it.” Sephy's hope diminished inside of her stomach.

“I hope Clint is alright.” Knowing she shouldn't feel that way, she couldn't do anything about it. Sephy didn't want Clint or Alec to die but the gut wrenching knot kept trying to tell her it was an inevitable fact of this Tournament.

Alec set the first aid box down and took out one small plastic box and clicked it open. Inside there were three blue pills about the size of her fingernail. She reached out and took one into the palm of her hand as Alec tilted the box to the side.

“Take one of these and you should feel better after the fall.” Alec advised her. She swalowed a mouthful of the fresh, cool water and felt the pill travel down her throat. “Take another in a couple hours and then the last one in the morning.” Sephy furrowed her brow when meeting his gaze.

“Aren't you going to take some?” He sighed and shut the lid.

“They were obviously for you, Persephone. Some out there wants you to win; otherwise they wouldn't have helped you out.” Sephy snatched the box off of Alec and grabbed his hand. She opened his palm and poured one of the little pills onto it.

“Take it.” She ordered and didn't stop staring at him until she heard him swallow it. He shook his head as she let go of his wrist and set the bow to the side.

“We can properly look at your leg now.” She said, pulling bandages out of the way so she could get to the disinfectant spray under it them. She shook the 20ml bottle while Alec reluctantly moved closer to teh fire for extra light while he stared at her covered hand.

“Make sure there is enough for your palm.” He told her as she shifted her weight onto her knees and crawled over to where Alec sat. She set the bottle down and untied the fabric above his wound. After eating, the smell of blood churned her stomach and she had to force the food to stay down in her stomach.

“You ready?” She asked him, lifting the bottle, her finger on the trigger. She had a feeling that this was going to hurt him.

“Go for it.” He said through gritted teeth, holding onto the grass in the ground, squeezing it in his fingers. Sephy shook the can once more and pressed on the trigger. Alec grunted and grabbed a stick from close by to put between his teeth- biting down on it.

The spray turned into a foamy lather as it sizzled around the edges of his stab would. Blood began to discharge from his leg. The wound wasn't infected and this spray would insure that it wasn't going to get infected either.

“Almost done.” Sephy told him, wrapping the roll of bandages around the cotton wool she had dressed his wound with. Using her teeth to tear the bandage, she tied the two ends together and threw Alec the water to drink.

“Finished?” Alec asked, looking at his leg while he wiped the sweat off his brow. Sephy nodded to him and began unravelling her hand. She threw the fabric into the fire and watched as it burned very slowly. She tilted her head to the side as she watched it.