Chapter 1: Almost

"Once upon a time, a princess needed a midnight snack," Cecily Degalt whispered, sneaking through the dark, marble halls. Foraging after hours had always been a favorite activity of hers, and she wanted one last scavenge in her own castle before everything changed. Tomorrow, she'd leave for distant Myrzel for her new life in an arranged marriage. Butterflies somersaulted in her stomach.

Would Prince Rakesh like her? Would she like him?

Entrenched in her thoughts, she turned the corner down a dark hallway and collided with someone. Opening her mouth to scream, Cecily felt the hand of her assailant press against her mouth while the attacker's other arm immobilized her failing limbs.

"For cripes' sake, Cece! It's me!"

The pale hand shifted away from her, and Cecily stared down at the mess of blonde hair atop her dearest friend's head. "Rory?"

"Of course!"

"What are you doing? You gave me such a fright!" Cecily stepped away from the petite girl only half Cecily's size. Cecily's heart pounded in her throat as she pushed her dark curls back in a vain attempt at composure.

"And you didn't defend yourself at all. Honestly, mate, have you learned nothin'?" Rory sighed and leaned against the wall, her commoner's accent thick. "I couldn't sleep, so I thought I'd check and see how you were doin'."

Cecily sidled up next to her. "I couldn't sleep either, so I was on my way to the kitchens for something sweet."

"Your idea's better than mine. I figured I'd wake you for a few sparring matches." Rory shifted away from the wall, turning back in the direction of the kitchens. "Sweets it is."

A few moments of comfortable silence stretched between them. Cecily ran a hand along the castle wall, loving the feel of the stone, the contrast of the white marble beneath her umber brown fingertips. "Did you say goodbye to your family?"

Even in the dim hallway, she saw Rory's face shift into a glower. It always did when someone mentioned family. "I don't want to talk about it."

Cecily opened her mouth but then closed it with a snap. Rory never said more than she wanted to, not even to Cecily. "Have you packed?"

"Eh. I didn't have much to pack, now did I?"

Cecily paused, drilling Rory with a suspicious glare. "You packed the dresses, right?" Rory didn't stop, but Cecily saw her shoulders tense. "Oh my word, Rory—you packed the dresses, didn't you? Tell me you packed the dresses."

Rory cast a sly grin over her shoulder, and Cecily let out a breath of relief. "Of course I packed the dresses. My whole cover story revolves around those blasted monstrosities."

Cecily stacked her hands on her hips, pursing her lips. "They're beautiful, and you know it."

Rory let out a snort and turned through the archway into the kitchens. Cecily bounced after her, stifling a giggle.

"I wonder what kind of sweet rolls Mrs. Renders made today. Think she tried to hide them from us one last time?" Rory pulled out a match and lit a nearby lantern.

Cecily's eyes drank in the familiar room. "It's hard to believe this is the last time we'll do this."

"You don't think Myrzel has a baker?" Rory wandered off to where the sweet rolls were kept, opening the cupboard with a squeal of delight. "She made cinnamon! Greatest. Day. Ever."

"We're moving to Myrzel, I'm getting married to a stranger, and you have to pretend to be a lady-in-waiting."

"I still think it's bizarre they won't allow their portraits to be painted."