16. Another Favor

-Theo-

-Theo-

I spent the entire Sunday hiding in my room. I made sure not to cross paths with Allen even once, but luckily he spent the weekend hanging out with his friends. I was trying to catch up with my homework, but when my headache returned, I decided to dye my hair. That crow's nest of mine was thinner than ever, and I regretted pulling out so much hair. I never realized what I was doing when I was plucking it out, so there wasn't much I could do about it. At least it looked nicer after I had dyed it back to black.

The weekend felt like it lasted for an eternity, but Monday morning arrived eventually, and it was once again raining like the apocalypse was near. After showering, dressing up and avoiding Allen the rest of the morning, I was ready for school.

When I stepped out of my home, I had to stop to stare at the black Mustang that was waiting for me at the end of our driveway. Our front door closed silently behind me, and I felt a small smile sneaking up on my lips. I hurried to the car and ran around to the other side to get in next to Deon.

"You didn't have to come pick me up," I told him.

"Whatever..." Deon muttered, pressing the gas pedal.

I sighed silently in amusement. It looked like Deon was having a bad day, but it warmed my heart that he had come to pick me up. A certain someone wouldn't have done that, no matter how hard it was raining.

"How was your weekend?" Deon asked, surprising me with his kindness.

"I had an amazing date with Beau–" I started, but he didn't let me continue.

"I seriously do not care. You better understand that already. I – do – not – care," he spoke loud and clear.

"But you asked–"

"Well excuse me," Deon said angrily and glared at me. "I meant your brother."

"Oh." I felt embarrassed. "He left me alone. He didn't even look at me."

"Good," Deon replied and concentrated on driving again.

"How was your weekend?" I asked, but Deon gave me an annoyed look for an answer, letting me know it was none of my business.

The rest of the way to school was filled with silence. We were too early when we arrived, and there was hardly no one around yet. After Deon parked the car, I was about to open the door, but he stopped me.

"Don't be an idiot. You can't get inside yet, so you'll get wet."

"Could you please just decide if you hate me or not?" I snapped at him and let go of the door handle.

"I hate you, so that's that," he replied, taking a more comfortable position in his seat. "If you get sick and don't come to school, I can't watch your back."