49. Owl Watch

-Sky-

-Sky-

"Did you know that there's three species of zebras?" I asked, grabbing a branch from the ground, adding it to the pile Max was carrying.

"Nope," Max said. "Did you know that in 1930, the Chrysler Building was the tallest building in the world, but almost a year later it lost the title, when the Empire State Building was finished?"

"No. What's the tallest building right now?" I asked, gazing through the forest floor, trying to find more dry branches for our bonfire.

"Burj Khalifa in Dubai. Fun fact, it was finished 2010, and it's 2,717 feet tall. The second tallest building is in Shanghai, called Shanghai Tower, and it's only 2,073 feet tall, so it's almost six hundred and fifty feet shorter than Burj Khalifa!"

"That is tall," I said and looked up, trying to imagine a building that tall.

"Do you think we have enough wood now?" Max asked.

"A few more, just in case," I said and limped forward.

We had set up our camp already, and all we needed was to make the fire. We were exchanging facts about animals and buildings while we were at it. It was fun to learn new things, even though Max wasn't talking about animals.

I was walking without my crutches, and I was amazed how well I could move with the new splint on. It was easy to get around, even in the forest, and it didn't hurt much anymore. Soon we had enough wood for the bonfire, so we returned to our campsite.

While Max put the branches down, I turned to look at the barn. I could see the female owl up in her nest, but the male was gone, probably on a hunting trip. It was probably four o'clock, so we still had plenty of time before the nightfall.

"Are you hungry?" I asked and turned to see Max.

"Always," he chuckled.

"I can cook us something," I smiled, but then I felt a jolt inside me. "If I remembered to take my equipment," I added, gazing through our packs.

"You did, don't worry," Max smiled, and I relaxed when he grabbed a bag that contained my cooking equipment.

"Thanks," I smirked, but I couldn't move my eyes away from him.

He was crouching over the pile of wood, looking up at me, his chestnut hair flowing freely in the wind, and the sun was radiating in his eyes. I couldn't believe I was dating him. Max Peterson was my boyfriend.

He was still smiling when he stood up and stepped in front of me.

"You look at me like I'm some fascinating animal," he purred.

"No! I wasn't – I didn't mean to –" I stammered, but he silenced me with a peck on my lips.

"It's a good thing," he said softly. "I love it when you get excited about animals, so I'm honored to get that same look from you."