441-450

Chapter 441: The Painting of King Jin's Three Princesses

That single statement confused the two of them. Fortunately, they did not have to understand. The message just had to reach them.

Mo Xuetong and Luo Mingzhu arrived at a pavilion near the fake rock mountains. A maidservant served them tea and went to stand far away, leaving the two to chat over their drinks.

"Cousin Tong, did Ling Rui'er try to set you up in the palace the other day?" Luo Mingzhu frowned and asked about the incident that everyone was talking about that. She had been invited that day as well. However, Li Youmo's mother had fallen ill, so Luo Mingzhu stayed home to take care of her instead. After that, she heard the madams and young ladies whom she was close to mentioning that thrilling scene. She had been so frightened sweat trickled down her back. She immediately felt that it was Ling Rui'er who wanted to plot against Mo Xuetong.

That was why she sounded so mean. She had never gotten along with Ling Rui'er in the first place.

"Forget it, it's not a big matter. Anyway, she didn't manage to get me into trouble. Instead, she got someone else into trouble. I am not the only one who bears a grudge against her now." Mo Xuetong wiped the liquid on her lips and said with an uncaring smile.

The He family had two powerful backers, Consort Yu and Consort Zhao. After what happened, they were thoroughly embarrassed. The two were not simple characters to deal with. It was said that Consort Yu knelt in front of Emperor Zongwen that day in his study, heavily pregnant, and pleaded with the Emperor. She was even more troubled by the matter than Consort Zhao was when it was Consort Zhao's nieces who were in trouble. The Emperor was touched by Consort Yu's kindness and even prepared gifts for her. In comparison, Consort Zhao, who had arrived after Consort Yu, did not receive any gifts from the Emperor.

Everyone in the palace wondered if Consort Yu was going to become even more powerful because of the child she was carrying.

However, no matter which consort it was, they were both closely related to He Yuxiu. Even if it was a game of chess, one had to see who was the one moving the chess pieces!

"That's right. Ling Rui'er must have offended many people." Luo Mingzhu said with a smile, having understood what Mo Xuetong said immediately.

The incident had happened at Cining Palace. It was the Empress Dowager who had been embarrassed. No wonder she had been so angry she had gotten ill. The girl was her grandniece. It was not right for her to punish her, but neither could she just let her off. The Empress Dowager was furious, how could she not fall ill? The Empress Dowager had once plotted against Mo Xuetong's and Luo Mingzhu's marriages, so Luo Mingzhu did not like her much.

"Second Cousin, where is that place? Why have I never seen it before?" Mo Xuetong suddenly pointed at a garden beyond the fake mountains and asked curiously.

"Where?" Luo Mingzhu could not see what Mo Xuetong was pointing at from where she was sitting. She stood up and saw the inconspicuous garden. If they had not been standing so high up and facing that direction, they would not have seen it. "Oh, that's the courtyard behind Aunt's. It's been left empty for a long while."

Mo Xuetong was very interested in the abandoned garden. However, she did not show it. She asked curiously, "It is a nice garden, but why did you all abandon it? It would be nice if it was touched up and some things were placed in it. Or someone could move in. It looks quite spacious."

There were three main rooms and a few wing rooms on the sides. Even though it was not considered a large courtyard, it was more than enough for several people.