Two Worlds

As I drove out of my neighborhood, I couldn't help but reflect that where I live is a reflection of how I grew up in two different worlds with my divorced parents.

My parents divorced when I was seven years old. I grew up switching houses every two weeks. Two weeks I would live with my dad and the next two weeks I would live with my mom.

My dad almost always lived in neighborhoods whether that was an apartment complex community or downtown community. Whereas my mom always lived in the country, meaning our property either had a pond or was sprawling with fields; either way we were always surrounded by nature.

Both Environments
Now, I live in a place that represents both of the environments that I grew up in. I live in a neighborhood that is surrounded by trees on every corner.

The more I reflect on the fact that I am an output of growing up in two very different environments my whole life, I realize the same can be true for my Christian walk.

Sinner or Perfect
I once thought that I was either a sinner or that I had to be a perfect Christian.

I thought the more mistakes I made, the more I was destined to be a sinner. And, I was taught sinners go to hell. Eventually, I felt hopeless. After all, I made many mistakes growing up including lying, stealing, profanity and sexual immorality; you name it and it feels like I had done it.

So, naturally, I thought what hope was there for me? That's what I had learned or perceived to be true from my Christian upbringing.

For whatever reason, likely Satan's deception, I didn't believe that the whole "ask for forgiveness" thing was for me. I somehow thought that was for everyone else.

I thought that the only way to become a "good and perfect Christian," (which is not a real thing) was to do lots of good deeds and be as perfect as I could be. As in, not ever lie, not ever steal, not ever use profanity, not ever have any sexual immorality.

I was doomed! How could I ever do that?

I Am Both
Then, by the everlasting grace and unconditional love of my Heavenly Father chasing me down, I realized that I am an output of BOTH environments.

I can be loved, as in unconditionally loved, by a Heavenly Father and still be a sinner. I actually think that's the whole point! It just took me decades to learn it. 🤷🏻‍♀️

None of us will ever be perfect. We will make a mess. But God calls us to use that mess for His message. Because God will chase you down and meet you exactly where you are at (See F-Bomb Controversy).

We need to be a reflection of that same love and grace. We need to show others that God is loving us in our mess. We are both Christians and messy!

Key Takeaways and Thoughts:
- How did your childhood contribute to who you are today?
- Do you think Christianity requires perfection?
- Followers of Jesus can be both Christians and messy!

Prayer:
Father, thank you for meeting me exactly where I'm at. Thank you for eliminating the "staircase to Heaven" and meeting me on the first step. Thank you for showing me that perfection was and is never required. You are the only perfect one. I stand in awe of you and your limitless love.

Scripture:
"And hope does not put us to shame, because God's love has been poured out into our hearts through the Holy Spirit, who has been given to us."
‭‭Romans‬ ‭5:5‬ ‭NIV‬‬

"and to know Christ's love that surpasses knowledge, so that you may be filled with all the fullness of God."
‭‭Ephesians‬ ‭3:19‬ ‭CSB‬‬

""What man among you, who has a hundred sheep and loses one of them, does not leave the ninety-nine in the open field and go after the lost one until he finds it? When he has found it, he joyfully puts it on his shoulders, and coming home, he calls his friends and neighbors together, saying to them, 'Rejoice with me, because I have found my lost sheep!'"
‭‭Luke‬ ‭15:4-6‬ ‭CSB‬‬

"God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."
‭‭Romans‬ ‭5:8‬ ‭NIV‬‬

"Dear friends, let us love one another, for love comes from God. Everyone who loves has been born of God and knows God."
‭‭1 John‬ ‭4:7‬ ‭NIV‬‬