Prologue: A Little History Lesson

Years ago, the humans created a virus that spread first through ingestion. Then through contact. And finally through the air. But it wasn’t really a virus; it was a parasite. A parasite that could reanimate a human after killing him, and bring back most of the things that used to be him. His personality, his abilities, almost his whole life… with a few extras. For these reanimated humans had a taste for human flesh, preferably living, and were very dangerous to all those immune or still living. For years, they were fought off like packs of hungry wolves.

                Until these things called zombies became more intelligent than the ‘natural’ humans before them.

                They created beautiful mechanical and botanical systems, mutations of the original ideas. Zombies could create amazing cities. Easier births. Better animals. Cleaner air. The perfect armor and weapons. Beautiful flowers of every variety. But the only thing they could not do was remove the blight humans had created, the sickness they had introduced through their moronic chemical tests. They couldn’t stop their hunger. Until now.

                Today, the humans are kept in households as slaves, pets, servants, teachers, and the occasional secret friends or lovers. Because of this indignity-- according to the disgruntled humans with poor masters-- humans have begun an uprising against the creatures who used to be the minority on the earth. Against their zombie keepers.

                The undead, however, do not realize it yet… and neither do a handful of runaways you are about to meet under less than pleasant circumstances.