02. Puppy

2 years later (2020)

Jaebeom got down from his car, breathing in the cool air. He was visiting his university, for the last time.

After his parents' death a few months back, he couldn't bring himself to continue singing.

His parents were the ones who walked with him every step of the way throughout his singing journey. When he suffered during the tough trainee days. When he received the news of his first debut. When he won his first Grammy award.

Jaebeom decided to take a break from singing and live in the US for a while. He does some professional photography on the side so he can still rely on that to make a living.

He had already found a studio apartment in the US and arranged his papers in order. He is just visiting the places he knew he would miss. Trying to imprint everything into his memory.

Majority of the students have returned to their hometowns since it is spring vacation. So he didn't have to worry about any fans recognizing him. He just wanted to appreciate this time.

Passing by the courtyard, Jaebeom took a picture of the cherry blossoms. He reminisced the times when Jinyoung, Youngjae and him would sit under the cherry blossom trees. They would sometimes have their lunch there, work on assignments or just relax.

Walking down the hallway, his feet led him down a familiar path, towards the music room. Jaebeom spent a lot of time there, composing and recording songs. It was where he felt most comfortable.

He was about to open the door when he saw the light on.

Someone is here?

Carefully twisting the knob, he opened the door slowly. He didn't want to make any noise in case the person was recording something.

Catch me throwing away all them phones

Can't stop me, we gon chill and party I announce (party I announce)

Catch me, we gon party with no stressed til' noon (stressed til' noon)

Don't think about leaving right now, it's too soon yeah

We gon' ball so hard we made it (made it), fly so hard we made it (made it)

Drippin' all along we made it, tell them we got the sauce we made it

Ball so hard we made it (made it), fly so high we made it (made it)

Drippin' all on we made it, tell 'em we got the sauce we made it

(We made it)

Aye one man, I made it (wo wo)

Ya we all, we made it (made it)

Entering the room quietly, Jaebeom saw that the person was in the recording room with his back faced towards him. Sitting on the couch, Jaebeom closed his eyes and listened to the rap with an amused smile on his face. He doesn't normally listen to rap but he has to admit that this person's rap is good.

The simplicity of the words did not underwhelm the rapper's passion and message. Instead, it enhanced the rap further, the rapper's message captured even more clearly.

That he took on the world and made it.

Jaebeom smiled wistfully. If only he had enough courage to continue doing that.

Hearing a gasp, he opened his eyes and found a beautiful pair of puppy eyes staring back at him.

Soft white hair peeked out from the black beanie. He held a pencil and notebook, his hands slightly covered by his sweater paws. What made him even more adorable was the pink dust on his cheeks, causing Jaebeom to mentally coo.

"I-I-Sorry for disturbing." Jackson stammered. Grabbing his bag, he rushed out of the music room.

Jackson felt his chest tighten. His heartbeat erratic again.

After the concert two years ago, Jackson video called his father and asked him about his 'heart attack'. His father laughed and assured him he was fine. So how come it came back again?

By the time Jaebeom broke out from his reverie, Jackson had already run off.

"Wait!" Jaebeom yelled out but it was too late. The mysterious boy had already turned the corner and was nowhere to be found.

Jaebeom trudged back to the music-room, disheartened, when he spotted something on the ground. Bending over, he picked it up and saw that it was a Squirtle keychain.

There wasn't anything on the floor when he walked to the music-room. The only two people were him and that puppy. Thus, he concluded that the keychain must be from the puppy's bag.

Returning to the music-room, Jaebeom flopped onto the couch. He held the keychain up, smiling softly.
The keychain dangled from the tip of his fingers.

I wonder if I will see you again...