CHAPTER 63 | the abyss

ابدأ من البداية

Small whimpers sound as the angel nears the source of the cry. Kilo slows as he sees a curled up body lying in the darkness.

"Castyr...?" Kilo quickly approaches the body. The angel runs around the body, dropping to his knees when he sees his star's face. The angel rests the star in his lap as he calls his name, "Castyr!"

Castyr unconsciously grabs onto Kilo as he cries out in pain. His brows are furrowed, and his lips are parted in agony. A little moan escapes the star's lips as he fights the pain swarming inside of him.

Tears swell in Kilo's eyes as he watches his star sweat in torment. The angel tries to activate his energy cycle but to no avail.

What is this place? Is...is this Castyr's subconscious? Has he been in this torment for all this time?

Sounds of whispering and screeching emerge from the darkness and surround the angel and star. Kilo swivels his head to see hundreds of twisting cords of black energy racing towards them. Kilo protects Castyr with his body, but the cords still wrap themselves around the star.

"Castyr!" Kilo fumbles to keep a hold on the star as Castyr is lifted above the angel's head. Castyr lets out a cry as he floats in the center of the cords.

A shining silver light is quick to enter the abyss and race towards its star. Castyr's energy quickly joins the dark cords in swarming around the star, cancelling out most of the black cords.

So this is what Adelle meant. Castyr is fighting to not be devoured by the darkness and to bring both the light and dark to be in harmony with each other. But Castyr is weak as he has been fighting for weeks. He does not have much energy left. I need to do something. I need to-...Wait...if Castyr was able to pull me into his subconscious, then there must be something that I can do. He would not pull me in to watch him die. There is a reason I am here.

Unsure of whether it will work but certain he must try, Kilo closes his eyes and steadies his breathing. The angel takes a deep breath and releases the energy in his body. The purple energy rushes towards the star and begins aiding the silver energy in balancing out the darkness. Kilo heaves a sigh as he watches Castyr's body relax, but as soon as the light and dark reach harmony, all of the energy rushes inside the star's body. Once Castyr has absorbed the entirety of the energy, an explosion of every color sparks from the star, filling the void with light and warmth.

✨✨✨✨

With a deep breath, Castyr opens his eyes for the first time since his sacrifice in Hades. The first rays of light seep through the shaded windows aiding the star in absorbing his surroundings. Becoming aware of the warmth of a body and the weight of an arm draped over his waist, Castyr turns his head to see an angel sleeping next to him. The star smiles and flips onto his side, reaching out to move a loose strand of hair out of the angel's face. But his hand stops just short of the strand and, instead, travels down to the angel's cheek where a tear stain marks the soft skin.

The star's smile fades as he notices several other stains running down the angel's face and that the angel's brows are furrowed. Castyr's hand finishes moving the strand gently before the star rises onto his elbow and kisses the angel lovingly on the forehead. The angel takes a deep breath as he wakes, opening his purple eyes slowly, only to snap open when he sees the night sky, star-filled eyes of his love.

"Castyr!" Kilo smiles as he takes his star into his arms. Castyr smiles brightly and gives a small, happy laugh. "How...how do you feel? Are you...are you in any pain?" Kilo pants as he brings his star to arms' length so he can look at him properly.

"I'm fine," Castyr croaks out. The star takes a moment to clear his throat as he has not spoken for several weeks. The star's brows instantly furrow when he hears Kilo's strained breathing and pale face. "What's wrong? What happened? Why are you so pale?" Castyr reaches out and holds the angel's cheek.

"I'm fine," Kilo assures as he takes Castyr's hand and brings it down to his lap to hold.

"No, you're not fine. You can't even speak properly."

Kilo smiles and shakes his head. "Don't worry. I'll be back to normal in no time." Kilo refrains from telling Castyr why he is weak as the star does not appear to have any memory of Kilo entering his subconscious and helping him stabilize the energy running rampant through his body.

Knowing he will not be able to get Kilo to tell him what happened, Castyr reluctantly nods and takes time to look around at his surroundings. "Where are we?" The star inquires after a few moments.

"Mythos."

"Mythos?"

Kilo nods. "Devyn is letting us stay here until you get better."

"Better?" Castyr crinkles his brows in confusion. "Why would I need to get better?"

Kilo looks at the star intently before asking, "Castyr, do you remember what happened in Hades?"

Castyr shakes his head, his face falling.

"Do you remember anything?"

Kilo's heart drops as Castyr shakes his head. Darkness fills the room as Castyr begins to fade away. Devastation enters Kilo as he watches the star disappear. The angel reaches out to try to hold on to his star, but to no avail. Castyr is gone.

Kilo sits up drastically, gasping for air. His chest is covered with sweat, and his breathing is strained. The angel tilts his head back and closes his eyes in relief. It was just a dream. The sound of soft breathing catches the angel's attention. Kilo steadies his breathing as he turns to see eyes staring back at him. The angel's breath hitches as he sees the eyes of his love.

Is this another dream? Oh how Kilo wishes this were real.

Bracing for the end, the angel reaches out and gently cups his star's cheek. When the dream does not end, Kilo's heart begins pounding.

This is real. It's not a dream!

Castyr is awake! Overjoyed, Kilo brings the star into his arms.

"You're awake," the angel cries softly as he holds his star, his fingers wrapped in those soft, silver locks.

The real nightmare sets in when Castyr does not hug him back. He just stays still with a blank expression, neither hating nor loving Kilo's embrace.