Chapter 1

Lexy's POV

Moving to Brownsville from Sacramento wasn't my choice, but my parents thought a change of scenery would help bring my grades up. I loved my parents, but they hadn't the faintest clue what would be good for me. Between my mother working as a travel nurse and my father deployed as an officer in the Navy, visits were brief and irregular. I was new to this town, having only finalized the move-in a few days ago. Instead of dreading my first day at school tomorrow, I decided to walk to a coffee shop near my house. People around here were different. It all seemed a little greyer. Blander. Even the coffee depressed me.

While walking home, I tried to look for the positives in my situation. Although it was colder, it was also wetter. Being surrounded by trees and lush foliage brought a nice light to my vision of this town. As I was blasting music in my headphones, I unintentionally walked into another person walking in the opposite direction.

"I'm so sorry," I apologized to the guy now sitting on the ground. I took off my headphones and extended my hand, waiting for him to take it.

"You're fine, I'm a bit of a klutz myself" he smiled. "I don't think we've ever met before. What's your name?"

"My name is Lexy," I smiled.

I took in his appearance. He was medium height with dirty blonde hair, bright brown eyes, and pronounced ears. He wore baggy jeans with a multicolored crop top.

"I'm Jackson,"

"I guess I stick out like a sore thumb in a small town,"

"A little, but I love meeting new people. Are you in highschool?"

"Yeah, I'm a junior. I have my first day at Rosemary High tomorrow,"

"That's where we all go around here. At least tomorrow you'll know one person,"

I appreciated his positivity. We exchanged numbers and talked for a little longer until we parted ways. I walked the rest of the way home happier knowing I had made a new friend.

Xavier's POV

I didn't really care, because her leaving meant I didn't have to tell her to go away. Life can be really confusing if you let it be. Normally I stay fairly composed but something was bothering me, I just didn't know what. Instead of wallowing in confusion I went to the mountains and shifted into my wolf. Feeling the breeze glide past me as I race through the woods truly is unbeatable.

Eventually, I returned home, ate dinner, and dreamt about my mate. I had a feeling she would be incomparable to every other girl I've met. Getting sentimental about this was so unlike me, I never used to care about my mate or even the concept of one. Dreaming about her was weird, I didn't even know who she was. I sleep with girls all the time and I can't imagine myself ever stopping. I felt a pang of guilt as I imagined our life together, regretting not saving things for her but, oh well? It's not that big of a deal honestly. Maybe if I repeat it enough I'll believe it.