Chapter 23

Jason Dimitri

Today was the day. I hadn't known Logan for a long time, but I knew he was it for me, and not just because he was my mate. We had talked about marking eachother before. I initially had no idea what it was; as Arabella and I had never been taught about what a mate was, but once he explained it to me, I knew I wanted to do it. Today was that day.

He had been training for most of the day, so I hadn't seen him. I should probably start training too, even though Ari and myself have trained loads over the years.

As the Royal Beta, Logan has his own set of quarters in the castle, but he also had his own house outside of the castle, right next to the King's personal house. The house that Logan sometimes lived in was a lot more homely than I expected it to be when I first visited. I guess Logan is full of surprises.

On the surface, Logan is the Royal Beta, he is extremely loyal, scarily ruthless, with a look that could make any grown man cry out an apology. I've watched him fight before, and it's pretty terrifying, he moves with such aggression, yet grace, I can see why he is thought to be the second strongest in the Kingdom. I've yet to fight him though; I think I could give him a run for his money. I've also yet to see him in battle, which thinking forward, I believe would be absolutely terrifying, yet completely captivating at the same time.

Then when you get to know Logan a little deeper, you can see all of the other little things he does, that are completely hidden to anyone looking at him at face value. The way when we play board games with his baby cousins when they visit, and he loses, and he tries not to let it get to him, because he is the worst loser I have ever met, and I can just see in the way he clenches and unclenches his hand that he really wants to flip the table, but would never do that to his baby cousins. He is a terrible chef too, completely awful, but he tries, even asking one of his aunts to teach him how to cook breakfast so that he could bring me breakfast in bed one of the days. I love when his baby cousins dress him up, putting princess crowns on his head and paint his nails pink, and I can tell he is embarrassed when he gets a small coat of blush covering his face, but he would do anything for his family. All of these little things make Logan who he is, and I am falling more in love with him as the days go on.

After finally deciding to leave the house, I laced up my snow boots and headed outside, my feet crunching in the snow. Having the power to wield water, which involves snow and ice, I have always liked the winter months. I barely feel the cold due to my powers, as well as the werewolf heat, so I wasn't surprised when people sent me weird looks because I was only wearing a t shirt and shorts. Werewolves were warm, yes, but the sheer temperatures that are reached in the winter months are no match for a werewolf in human form, so they would all, normally, have to wrap up warm.

In the gorgeous, bustling town, I picked up a few bits, just to make our evening that much more special. That included a bouquet of flowers. I was going to surprise him with flowers, then a candlelit, homemade dinner under the stars, I was going to tell him sweet words, and I was going to kiss him. I would see where the night went from there, but hopefully it would end up in both of us being marked, and spending the rest of the evening in bed.

It was going to be perfect; it had to be perfect.

After buying a bouquet of black roses, with a couple of white ones in there too, I turned to leave the shop. I didn't get far though, as I was soon confronted by a group of angry looking men. "You scum shouldn't be in the damned castle, you shouldn't be in a pack, you shouldn't even be alive," the man spat at me, which landed on my cheek. I wiped it off and flicked it to the ground, unimpressed by his insult. Frankly, of the two of us, I was a rouge that had mastered the art of killing my opponent in second by the time I was 11, he was a city bred, overweight, hairy man.

"Go back to the hole where you came from, and take your ugly sister with you," sneered another. This one was scrawny, and his beard looked like pubic hair. If I wasn't in the middle of the Kingdom, I would have assumed both of these men were rouges, based on their smell and their unkempt looks. Although, you can have rouges that present themselves well, like myself and Arabella, and city-boys that present themselves badly, like the group of men in front of me, I shouldn't stereotype really.

"Don't taint our beta," one of the men said, making a move to grab the bouquet of flowers out of my hands. I grabbed his wrist and twisted it around, so that he cried out in pain. That alerted some of the Night Warriors that were patrolling the area, who came over to see what the fuss was about.

"Nothing I can't handle," I said to the warriors. They nodded at me, and turned to the group of men, telling them to go back home, and expect a summoning to stand in front of the council sometime soon.

"Are you alright Sir Jason?" asked one of the Night Warriors, I nodded, and turned to leave.

I guess not everyone was happy with us being here. It would be foolish to assume that they would be happy by our arrival; our parents were murderers, we were/are rouges, we don't have the best reputation, we are freaks of nature with our superpowers, associated with the King of Vampires and the Alpha of the rouges, not exactly the best. I was surprised at how welcoming some of the people in the castle were though, to accept us into their castle and into their lives. The situation would have been much different if we hadn't saved Madison, Logan and Jessica though, I guess I have to thank Seth for that, for inspiring Arabella to do it.

Arabella was on my mind, and I felt like I had to warn her, and tell her about what had happened to me that morning. As I was turning one of the corners in the street, a man jumped me, grabbing my shoulder and stabbing me right in the stomach, with a knife covered in wolfsbane. My senses were off because I was thinking too much about Arabella, I didn't smell the man, and I didn't smell the wolfsbane. I cried out in pain, and the same Night Warriors from before came over to me. One ran after the guy who had fled, and one stayed with me, applying pressure to the wound.

The thing with wolfsbane is, is that it doesn't heal. In order to get a wolfsbane cut to heal, you have to have removed all of the wolfsbane and cut over the edges of the cut, so you have fresh skin to heal, that hasn't been touched by wolfsbane. Arabella gets over that by burning her skin, which burns away the wolfsbane too, and then the skin can fix back together. Hospitals get over that by washing away the wolfsbane, and they can also burn it too. I however freeze away the wolfsbane, but it's much harder for me to do so, and my healing isn't nearly as advanced as Arabella's.

The concentration of wolfsbane on that blade must have been extremely concentrated, because I could feel it as it pumped through my blood, and made its way to my heart and my brain, slowly shutting down my organs. In my state of delirium, I could feel myself being carried be someone, I heard the sounds of sirens, the sounds of people talking to me, about me, at me, and I could smell the antiseptic of the hospital I had arrived at.

It was all a huge blur. I felt the prick of a needle into my hand as they inserted a cannula, feeding me fluids to challenge the wolfsbane and flush it out of my system. Then, I felt myself drifting off, listening to the steady, yet slow beat of my heart rate on the monitor.

I knew I was still asleep, in some kind of comatose state, yet I could feel my hand as it was held, and I felt the tears of Logan dropping onto my hand. I tried to listen to his words, but they were much too muffled, and it was much to blurry to understand. With all my might and all my energy I tried to squeeze his hand back, I tried to tell him I loved him, I tried to tell him anything, but I was frozen, I couldn't move, I couldn't speak, and it was hell, it was like I was in my own personal hell.

With all my heart, I knew what I was going to do as soon as I was free of the chains of this coma. I got the perfect view of the man's face who did this to me, the same man from the group that had confronted me. I focused on his face, and on the rest of their faces because I knew that they were in on this together, and I knew no matter how long I was in this state, focusing on my hatred for them, and my revenge plan for them, at the same time as focusing on my love for Logan and for my sister, that I would get through this.