Chapter Nineteen • Josiah Chevelle

NINETEEN • JOSIAH CHEVELLE

After climbing an endless staircases and surpassing enormous doors with Italian gravings smothering every corner, we finally reached a darker, more sophisticated hall. The ceilings were higher than I've ever seen and the midnight navy with the mahogany paneling made one feel small in comparison.

I followed quickly behind Cas and Ryder, who stayed mostly silent as we walked. Their death stares at each other would scare anyone, but I couldn't allow it to bother me. The uncomfortable silence as we twisted through endless hallways and corridors was menacing, so I decided to break it.

"So why does the headmaster get so few visits?" I asked politely, mostly for the sake of not upsetting Ryder.

"It's a big school; someone has to oversee it all. I'm sure he's busy most of the time," Cas said, not even turning to look at me. Ryder continued on in a stoic manner, leaving me awkwardly in the middle.

"So he's more like a governor than a principal...?" I caught Ryder rolling his eyes.

"Kind of. I think it makes sense once you meet him. He's certainly an...unforgettable character." Cas turned his neck to look at me. "Are you really sure you want to meet him? It's not customary for new students to see him. A lot of people have never even seen the man. You really don't have to," he persuaded. I shrugged.

"Of course she should meet him. It'll speed up the process," Ryder growled. I cocked a brow. What process? Why were they both so secretive?

"So what's your major, Ryder?" I managed to choke out to the devil beside me. Ryder frowned.

"I'm not in college yet." Another awkward silence.

"Oh."

"I'm 18 and still trucking along in high school. Ah, the beauty of stupidity. Not everyone can be a genius." Ryder shoved his hands in his pockets almost angrily and began looking at the pictures that lined the wall. I looked to Cas to see his reaction, but he was looking the other way. I sighed.

"Not to be stereotypical, but are we there yet?" I whined, watching as we turned into yet another hallway. If they left me here alone, I would never be able to find my way out with the size of each hall. The place was practically a maze.

"Yes, actually. It's the big cherryoak doors at the end here," Cas quipped, only looking in mine and Ryder's direction if completely necessary. Ryder grunted in reply.

"If you don't mind, I'll just give you a little introduction beforen you go in. Okay?" Cas asked, the last part suggesting it was more imperative than inquisitive. I nodded and watched Cas push open the doors, leaving me here with a scowling, bad-tempered Ryder. I took this as an opportunity.

"So why is Cas so..."

"Jittery? Nervous? Reluctant?"

"Yeah." He folded his arms defiantly.

"You'll find out. Someday." What? I opened my mouth to talk back, but quickly decided against it once I remembered who I was talking to. Instead, I folded my arms as well and turned away, letting the silence consume the hall.

"Are you going to ask the headmaster why you're here?" Ryder suddenly asked. Still avoiding eye contact, I shrugged.

"Maybe."

"Well don't. He doesn't really know or care," Ryder snapped.

"Why does this man sound almost as cold as you?" I realised my mistake too late and felt the rough twist of a hand around my neck; it wasn't quite hard enough to choke, but it wasn't pleasant either. I tried to pry his hand off.