Chapter Ten

~*~

"It was the worst day of my life. Nothing can compare to the pain I felt that day. I had gone out to get some Starbucks for Shelby. I was hoping it would help cheer her up, maybe get her to smile. I walked into the bathroom and there she was. She lay on the ground, cold and lifeless. My Shelby was gone. My Shelby was dead."

~*~

I walked back from the Starbucks down the street. Maybe this would help Shelby feel better. She's been having a really hard time lately and I hate it. I hate seeing her sad. I hate not being able to help her feel better.

I walked into the apartment and shut the door. I slipped off my jacket and went to the bedroom. When I opened the door, Shelby wasn't in bed. I saw the light on in the bathroom.

"Shelby?" I said and knocked on the door.

No answer.

I opened the door and my world completely shattered.

Shelby lay in the floor, covered in blood. She had cut vertically down her arms and blood covered her. A knife lay next to her along with a bottle of pain killers. Her eyes were closed, her mouth slightly open. I felt the tears start to run down my cheeks.

"No, no, no," I said as I knelt down next to her body, cradling her head in my arms. "Wake up Shelby, please wake up,"

She didn't.

"Please love, wake up. Please don't leave me. Please,"

I began to sob. I pulled her body into my chest and stroked her hair.

"I-I'm so s-sorry," I whimpered into her hair. "I'm s-so sorry baby,"

I rested her head on my knees and brushed her hair away from her face. She's gone. My baby's gone.

I leant down and rested my forehead against hers. "I love you," I whispered before my body shook with sobs. I kissed her cheeks, forehead, nose, lips. She didn't kiss me back.

I held her lifeless body for who knows how long. She was so cold, so lifeless. I didn't want it to be real. I didn't want her to be gone. I wanted her to open her eyes and smile and tell me she loves me.

After I composed myself, I cleaned Shelby up. I wrapped gauze around the cuts, even though I knew they wouldn't heal. I brushed out her hair, changed her clothes so she looked nice. Even in death she still looked so beautiful. I picked her up and laid her on the bed. I kissed her wrists, like I did everyday. I sat next to her in the bed. I cupped her cheek with my hand.

"I love you Shelby," I told her, tears forming in my eyes again. "I'm so sorry I couldn't make the pain go away. I wish it didn't have to come to this. You were the best thing that ever happened to me. I wish you would've stayed just a little longer," I said. I stood up and walked over to the dresser, digging through my clothes until I came upon a little black box.

I walked back over to Shelby and sat next to her. I opened the box, revealing the diamond ring inside. I took the ring and placed it on Shelby's finger.

"I'm sorry I didn't do this sooner," I said as I started to cry harder. "I wish we could've spent the rest of our lives together. I love you Shelby, with all of my heart. I'll see you again my love," I said pressing another kiss to her cold lips.

I sniffed and wiped my eyes. I needed to tell the others. I stood up and went to get my phone. As I stood up, the bed shifted and I noticed something under Shelby's pillow. A folded piece of paper. I walked over and unfolded the paper.

It was her last words.

I cried as I read the paper. I took it and shoved it in my pocket. I picked up my phone and called Liam, he'd get the message out.

It rang a few times and Liam answered. "Hey Louis. What's up?"

"Shelby's gone," I said, my voice hoarse from crying.

"What do you mean she's gone?"

"She killed herself," I said as I started to cry again. "She's dead,"

"Oh my god," Liam said. "I'll be over in a minute hang on,"

"Could you pass the message along to the others?" I said.

"Of course. We'll be over as soon as possible,"

"Thank you Liam,"

"No problem," he said. With that, the conversation ended.

I went back to Shelby and held her hand, rubbing her knuckles with my thumb.

"I love you," I whispered. "I can't believe you're gone,"

A/N:

Hi! Thank you so much for reading! It means so much to me as always! I hope you have a lovely day! :)