thirty nine

"chanhee-" before he could even finish his statement, chanhee had enveloped him in a hug, burying his face in the crook of his neck and locking his fingers around him. although moving around still stung ever so slightly, sunwoo slowly brought his arms up, hugging the boy back and closing his eyes to take in the familiarity of his touch.

despite having only been out cold for about 4 days, those 4 days felt like forever to sunwoo, his mind having been trapped in an odd state of limbo where every day he was faced with nothingness.

and when he eventually did wake up to the fluorescent lighting and the cold hospital bed that he knew all too well, he felt panic creep in, afraid that maybe he had already passed and was in a portion of the afterlife whereby he watched his own demise.

but before he could panic further, he heard his phone make noises, the endless amount of 'pings' notifying him that someone had messaged. and when the sound never seemed to stop, sunwoo was half convinced that he was having another strange dream within a strange dream until he saw who the messages were from.

blinking blankly at his screen, he had thought that after a while, he would wake up and be met with zero messages but instead, they came one after another, a never ending flow of messages from the one and only choi chanhee.

unlocking his phone, he read through every message that chanhee had sent starting from how he had realised what sunwoo's wallpaper was to how both seonmi and hyunjun had been treating chanhee as though he was a part of the family.

unknowingly with every message, sunwoo's smile had only gotten bigger until he had finally caught up on what chanhee had said about him speaking to himself. that was when it clicked that he was actually awake, staying in a hospital room and having a boyfriend that was so concerned about him that he decided to send countless messages.

boyfriend.

they had never properly addressed each other as such nor have they ever even put a label on what they were — they were simply just them.

but upon seeing chanhee talk about how he would want to meet his mother, sunwoo found it to be a fitting label to mentally call chanhee and slowly, he had typed out his replies, having had laughed to himself at chanhee's endless 'am i dreaming' statements.

"did you miss me a lot?" sunwoo asked, chanhee nodding slightly but still not moving from his head from sunwoo's shoulder. "i'm sorry if i scared you," sunwoo whispered, placing his own head on chanhee's shoulder and like two puzzle pieces meant for one another, they fit perfectly in each other's embrace.

"stop apologising idiot." sunwoo couldn't help but chuckle at chanhee's attempt to sound as though he didn't care as much when his grip on sunwoo had not slackened even once. "i'm not leaving your side again."

"is that a promise?" sunwoo teased, running a hand through the older boy's hair.

"when's the wedding?" the pair broke away from their hug to see hyunjun standing by the door followed by kevin and juyeon. "what's with that expression sunwoo? did i ruin a moment?" hyunjun smirked and if sunwoo could, he would've launched a pillow at him. "seonmi is with yoojun so you don't need to worry about her," hyunjun commented, placing assorted goods on the bedside table.

meanwhile, kevin and juyeon stood awkwardly by the door. despite them having had visited before and somewhat knowing sunwoo, this was the first time they were properly meeting and the duo didn't know how to go about with their first interaction.

hyunjun, sensing the awkwardness, cleared his throat and pushed both kevin and juyeon towards sunwoo, sunwoo eyeing them cautiously.

"hi i'm kevin and this is juyeon-"