Leaving

The next time I woke up it was morning out. I got out of bed, and grabbed some loose clothes before going to get in the shower. Once I was clean I stepped out of the shower and threw on loose sweat pants and a cami before walking downstairs. I got out a pan and started to cook breakfast for everyone in the house. Mia was the first to emerge from her bedroom that morning.

“Good morning.” I chirped making a plate to set in front of her.

“Morning.” She replied sounding like she could rip someone’s head off.

“There’s something bugging you, what’s up?” I asked and sat down with my own plate.

“It’s nothing really.”

“You’re lying to me.” I said setting my fork down to look at her.

“Fine, Brian and Dom have been acting strange lately, and I think it’s got to do with you.” Mia said snapping at me. “Dom almost went to jail because of you. They were talking about breaking you out if you had to do time.”

“If you want me to leave that’s all you have to say.” I told her, stood up putting my plate in the sink, before I finished cooking for the others and set it in the oven.

“I . . . I want you to leave.” Mia said.

“I’ll be gone in an hour. I always heard Italy was nice this time of year anyway.” I said before walking back up the steps. When I got there I quickly packed up the few things I had unpacked. I called Hobbs to ask him to hold on to my challenger for me. Just before I left I decided to write a note for Dom. I left it on my pillow, and walked out and to my Nova.

I was sitting at the airport after putting my Nova in a garage waiting for my flight to be called. I watched as person after person walked by me, some on their way home, some on vacations with loved ones, some on business trips, and some sneaking off with the lover their loved ones didn’t know about. I was glad when the officers told me that what the judge said was for the benefit of the court room. She let me off without needing to do anything. I stopped to pay off my attorney, and the few court fees from being held and then drove to the airport.

I would miss the people I met here, but I would get over it. I just hope it doesn’t hurt any of them too much with me leaving like this. 'Flight 409 is now ready for boarding.' I heard announced over the speakers in the airport. I stood up and grabbed my bag before walking toward the terminal. As I approached the plane I got this terrible gut feeling that something was wrong, and it just continued to get worse the closer I got to the plane. It finally got so bad I decided that it would probably be a bad idea for me to fly, and walked into the bathroom, glad that I only had the one bag which meant I didn’t have to have them unload any of my bags.

I walked out to watch the plane take off, and couldn’t believe what I saw. The plane I was supposed to be on only got a few feet in the air before falling back to the ground and catching fire. No one survived when the plane exploded seconds later. I walked out of the airport and got a taxi leaving my car in the storage unit. I asked them to take me to a plastic surgeon and when we got there I paid to have the scars on my back removed. Then flagged down another cab. I asked for them to take me to the mall and paid when we arrived. I got out and went to the nearest hair salon. I had them dye my hair dark purple, and then went to get greyish blue colored contacts. I walked to a store and bought things I never would have worn and got new makeup as well.

I went into the bathroom at the mall and put in the colored contacts. I changed into a black dress that had stripe that were see through. I did my eyes in a smoky look, and added a deep red lipstick. When I stood back to look in the mirror I didn’t even recognize myself. I walked back out and went to a bar just around the corner that the guys took me to a few times. The bartender looked right at me, and didn’t recognize me, even when I ordered the same thing I always do.

I looked up at the screen that was showing the news. The plane crash was already on the TV, and they were scrolling through a list of the names of people presumed dead. I let a small smile cross my face when I saw my name scroll across the screen. “Such a shame.” I heard the bartender say. “I knew that girl, Amelia. She was a good girl, who’d been put through hell and back. Only just got it all over with, and then this happens.”

“I’m sure she’s happy, wherever she is.” I said, and finished my drink. I left money on the counter and left the bar. I continued to go from place to place that I used to frequent waiting for someone to recognize me. No one did, because they weren’t looking for me. I went to the house of a guy I used to know, and knocked on the door.

“Who is it?” I heard a male voice from the other side of the door.

“Mockingbird.” I said, and watched him open the door.

“Who sent you?” he asked looking me up and down.

“Amelia sent me right before she caught her flight. Such a shame it crashed.” I said. “She told me you could help me.”

“Depends on what you need.”

“Can I come in?” I asked looking up and down the hall. He nodded his head and I walked into the entryway. Once he closed the door behind me I spoke again. “I need papers, ID, Social security number, all of it. I need to disappear.” I told him looking around the entryway.

“Why?”

“Why? Because I died on that plane to, and I wish to stay that way. Amelia told me before she got on the plane that she had a bad feeling. I had told her about my pregnancy and she didn’t want me to risk the flight.” I said lying about being pregnant. “She told me to come see you and you could make me disappear.”

“Fine come in here.” he said walking over to another door and disappearing through the door. I followed him in. “Stand in front of the canvas.” He said gesturing to the screen set up across from a camera. I let him snap my picture, and then he walked over and typed out a few things. “Any specific name you want?” he asked looking up at me.

“Jazmine Hale.” I said after thinking about it for a moment. He nodded and then typed out a few more things before walking over to me, and handing me my papers.

“Welcome to the world Miss Jazmine Hale, now get out.” He said as I took the papers from him.

“Thanks.” I said before stepping out the door and into my new life.