Prologue - Wanted Bioweapon

The email had been sent to everyone across the country on the day of February 1st, 2021. There was no named sender indicated, nor what company had been responsible for its distribution. All Emily Tempest knew is that it sent shivers through her spine and made her hands twitch as she struggled to control herself from the sparks threatening to unleash while clutching her smartphone. She had received it as marked urgent by the time she turned her phone back on as her plane was landing in Eastern Europe.

Subject Name: Emily Azure Tempest

Female

27 years of age

Born in Canada on the 7th of May 1993

Eye colour: green

Hair colour: red

Caucasian

This subject is extremely dangerous, reported having been struck by lightning as an infant, an accident that would normally be fatal instead caused drastic changes to the subject's DNA. The subject has grown up with the ability to manipulate lightning and create devastating thunderstorms. Several incidents have already been confirmed across the country, with many casualties and the destruction of public property. No one knows the nature of these attacks, or the cause of them, but the subject is clearly unstable and must be terminated immediately once found.

If you detect this subject anywhere in the world please inform one of the agents stationed in your region immediately and all necessary precautions will be taken. Rest assured the subject will be properly disposed of once found and isolated from citizens.

Sincerely,

BSAA

At the bottom of the email were three surveillance photos of her highlighting all the details of her appearance the BSAA just described. Emily wanted to know when the hell those were taken, but she guessed it was only a few months back when she began her escape. How dare they sneak around like paparazzi, those fuckers, why can't they just leave me alone?

Emily lowered her phone into her lap and pulled the hood of her N7 sweater forward more to conceal her long flaming red hair, it was the first thing that anyone would detect and recognize her now that the word was out. But thankfully, she'd hope this was her escape. It was, after all, only sent within Canada and the rest of the world didn't know she existed. It took them over twenty years to realize that she was impregnable.

They were correct though, there was a horrifying event not long after Emily's birth. Her parents were scientists studying the weather, and if it weren't for the thunderstorm that night, she would not be en route to Eastern Europe. Her mother, outside on a cloudy day rather than in the labs, with a newborn babe at her breast, hoping to soon return to her research much like her husband, and suddenly, thunder crashing, reiterating, each one louder than ever. Mother and child were out in the fields far furthest from the towers, the former believing time away from the labs would give her time to connect with her daughter.

There was no way to stop it from occurring, but when the thunder briefly ceased, the wind blew violently, the infant wailing endlessly and the mother knew it was time to go inside. Across the field she ran, careful not to drop her child, father pounding at the glass window screaming at her to hurry, but as the tallest around, it was far too late.

It happened so quickly, the bolt flashed like turning the lights on and off, transmitting through the veins of both in nanoseconds. Screams echoed and died instantly. Father horrified at what he just witnessed had no choice but to wait for the storm to subside to avoid being struck himself.

Come dawn, both were found in the grass. The mother had gone cold, no matter how many times he screamed and applied compressions, he could not find a pulse, she was gone. But then, a miracle was present before his eyes, the baby's cries as she lay alongside the corpse. How was it possible for the infant to survive a lightning strike directly?