Chapter Forty-Seven

Maebus and the other escapees had ridden through the night and were now a significant distance from the castle. Arriving at the gentle waters of the Northwest River, they stopped along its edge, allowing their horses to drink. It was nearly morning now, and the sun was filtering its first rays of light over the tips of the mountains, casting a golden illumination across the banks of the river. So far, no one from the Legion had pursued them into the night. Perhaps the Warlord felt it unnecessary. Such arrogance.

While washing his hands in the river water, Maebus noticed Fable sitting upon the shore nursing her wounded head. The rock that hit her had left a large purplish bruise on her temple. He quickly dried his hands on his robe and wandered over to help the injured woman.

"How's your head?" he asked, placing a comforting hand on her arm.

"Not so great," Fable replied. "It's pounding and I feel dizzy."

"I can help you with a healing spell," Kelm said, joining them. Maebus stepped back as Kelm pressed a hand upon the wound and began meditating.

Instantly, Fable smiled. "Thank you. That's already starting to feel better."

"The injury isn't as bad as it looks. But you'll still want to take it easy for a day or two."

Fable nodded, yet her smile faded. Sitting upright upon the ground, she ran her fingers slowly through her hair as her eyes suddenly began to tear.

Maebus stood silently, as Kelm gently touched her cheek.

"I know why your soul is burdened," Kelm said to Fable.

"No ... no, I don't think you do," she replied, staring into his eyes and removing his hand from her face.

Kelm bit his lower lip. "I'm sorry if my comment was a bit insensitive. I only meant that I sympathize with the pain you must feel right now. I know how it feels to lose your home. But, no one but an Archivist could truly understand the significance of what was lost in the fire."

Fable grabbed Kelm by the hand. "Dear friend, it's not the loss of my home that pains me at this moment, for I still possess its vast collection within my mind. However, I dare say it is the magnitude of our current situation that troubles me. For we've lost the Realmsic Crystal and are now in dire straits."

"Indeed," Maebus said, approaching them. "But thanks to Leoden, we've managed to escape imprisonment." He turned briefly to acknowledge the young warrior who stood alone by the water's edge several feet from them. Leoden looked up, giving Maebus a weak smile.

The King continued, "While I sincerely appreciate our good fortune, I must also remain objective. Despite being free, we haven't escaped the Warlord's wrath. As Fable stated, we are indeed in a much worse situation. The one hope we had of defeating Damian is now in his very possession.

"Our Council, who now hides near the Hellish South Plains, will inevitably be found and captured—if they haven't already. Our army—those who survived the first battle—has been dispersed throughout the Realm, waiting for a signal that, at this point, may never come. And we, having escaped Damian's clutches, are powerless against him. We've no plan, no weapons, no course of action. We've lost."

Maebus could tell by the perturbed expressions of Fable, Normandy, and Kelm that his words hit them hard and heavy, perhaps more so coming from the Realmsic King. But Maebus was drained, both physically and mentally. He'd grown sick to his stomach of the emotional highs and lows they'd endured over the past weeks, and he could take it no longer.