Chapter Forty-Two

Seku's mind was beyond conflicted. He was plagued by misgivings, only to create rationalizations for them. Although he was unsure about what was transpiring around him, one thing was for certain: He didn't like what he'd been seeing.

Inside the castle's dungeon, he waited in his usual place for Igthu, hoping to intercept him on his daily patrol. Although the youth had been distant lately, Seku still felt obligated to check in on him. Seku strained to see into the dimly lit dungeon. Located near the castle's furnace room, the air was always warm and humid on this lower level, even in the winter. The extra humidity produced an annoying dripping sound that could be heard throughout the day and night. Amber-colored cobblestones covered the ceilings, walls, and floors. They stretched like honeycombs down the narrow walkways. Black iron bars secured each individual holding cell. For a time, each cell had been filled to capacity. Seku shuddered to think of what tragic fate befell their inhabitants.

Where's Igthu? he pondered.

His head continued to be riddled with unfinished ideas. He thought briefly about his recent conversation with Reeze, the soldier in the mess hall. His face had been viciously mutilated, and Seku was directly to blame. He quickly pushed the thought out of his mind, for the guilt was too much to bear at the moment.

What was he going to do? Seku was not the type of person to ignore his feelings and stand idly by. Yet, he dared not challenge the Warlord, for every perceived slight—even from his own men—had so far resulted in extreme punishments.

His thoughts were suddenly interrupted by the sound of footsteps echoing within the dungeon's interior. Strange, Igthu never usually ran this late during a patrol. As the footsteps came near, Seku edged his head around the corner and came face to face with General Thane.

"Oh!" Seku said reeling back in shock.

Thane's face remained blank and slightly disinterested.

"Well, well. If it isn't the old soldier," Thane said.

Seku chuckled out of politeness. Although cordial, he never really liked Thane. "General," he replied, "Good to see you. I heard rumors that you were back. Congratulations on your victory."

"Yeah," Thane responded. "I thought you were encamped with the other soldiers?"

"Affirmative. That's been my assignment since we've been in Centre Pointe."

"Then what brings you down here to the dungeon?"

"Just checking on Igthu. You remember him, don't you?"

"Barely," Thane said dryly.

Seku continued. "He's a patrolman on the castle's dungeon level, so I'm not surprised you don't remember him. Nonetheless, he's like a son to me, so I occasionally check in on him to make sure he's all right."

"Well, I doubt he'll be down here today," Thane said. "My prisoners have just been locked away to await execution. In the meantime, we have them under tight surveillance. No one but my official detail is permitted in this part of the dungeon, until otherwise noted."

Oh, no wonder you're acting so accusatory.

"Well, on that note, I'll look for Igthu elsewhere."

"Is something bothering you?" the General crossed his arms.

Seku paused, unsure if Thane was asking out of legitimate concern, or just being facetious. "It's nothing." He'd instantly reached a decision regarding Thane's sincerity. "I'll be on my way."