Chapter Thirty-Two

"Come on! It's right up ahead," Kelm said to Maebus and Normandy, straddling his horse, riding expeditiously toward the Ancient Lands.

The tallest peaks of the old towers had come dramatically into view over the hillside, and he couldn't help but embrace a feeling of pure enthusiasm at the sight of them. It was true that Kelm genuinely loved being in the Ancient Lands, surrounded by the beginning essence of his entire world. And having recently endured the heart-wrenching pain of losing his home—everything he loved and cherished—his soul sang with renewed hope being one step closer to reclaiming the kingdom. Surely, their arrival marked the beginning of the end.

He slowed his horse near the edge of a cliff that overlooked the deep valley below. After several minutes, Maebus and Normandy joined him.

"Behold, the cradle of creation," Kelm said as they approached.

They sat in silence, taking in the view.

"This land is surprisingly flat compared to the mountainous region west of here," Maebus observed.

"Indeed," Kelm agreed. A majestic field of grass stretched as far as his eyes could see on the valley floor. It was reminiscent of standing on a beach at the head of a great ocean.

Kelm pointed towards the valley. "Look farther out," he said to the group. "Do you see the two towers in close proximity to one another?" The towers he spoke of were old, undoubtedly predating the Realmsic Castle. They rose from the grassy tide like beacons.

"What are those?" Maebus asked, concentrating on the vertical gray structures.

"Those towers are all that remain of the first kingdom," Kelm replied.

"The first kingdom?" Maebus exclaimed, gazing with bewildered eyes and a half-hanging mouth.

"Well, the first attempt," Kelm qualified, smiling at Maebus and Normandy.

"My goodness. It never occurred to me that a kingdom existed in the Realm before Centre Pointe."

Normandy shrugged. "I was never that keen on history," he admitted.

Kelm continued. "Actually, this kingdom was never fully realized. It was the ancient Wizard's first attempt at establishing a community of magic. There's intense speculation as to whether it was solely responsible for inciting the endless war, or if it inspired the establishment of Centre Pointe during the Conference of Amity."

"That's intense," Normandy said gruffly. He shaded his eyes with his hands trying to protect them from the glare of the harsh midday sun.

"Indeed, my friend," Kelm gleefully replied. "Most, if not all, of the Realmsic mysteries can be traced back to the Ancient Lands. The very air is filled with enchantment." He took in a deep breath and stretched out his arms. "Ahhh, I love it!"

"So, where to from here?" Normandy asked Maebus. "I got us here, now the rest is up to you."

Maebus glanced quizzically at Kelm.

"We'll first need to move past the towers. Then, beyond this field of grass are a number of historical sites and ancient settlements scattered throughout the region. Fable, the Archivist, lives hidden in one of them, though I don't quite recall which one."

"Are you serious?" Maebus gasped.

"Kind of."

"Then how will you know where to go?" Normandy asked.

"We're fine, we're fine!" Kelm waved a reassuring hand. "The closer we get, the more I'll be able to sense the location."

"You mean with magic?" Normandy asked.

"Yes!"

Normandy jerked his head for Kelm to ride forward. "By all means, please lead the way."

With a crooked grin and a flick of the reins, Kelm directed his horse toward the bottom of the valley. Normandy and Maebus followed.

--------------------------------------------

HELLO READERS!!! PLEASE TELL YOUR FRIENDS ABOUT REALMSIC

And... Please-Please-Please take just a moment review it on either Amazon, or Goodreads. This would be HUGELY helpful and the links are below! Thank you so much!!! :)

Review on Amazon: http://amzn.to/1kE7re0

Review on Goodreads: http://bit.ly/HOLreviewbook

The links can be copied and pasted from the Table of Contents page.