Chapter Ten

The week past in a boring blur for Lucy, as she sat at home and recovered from Max’s attack. She was grateful that each day she woke up her body hurt a little less than the day before. There wasn’t much to do at home beside read or watch movies, which she got bored of quickly. Travis had taken time off work to take care of her, she knew he also stayed home with her so she wasn’t alone and left unprotected if Max were to show. Max had disappeared without a trace along with Thomas, and Brandan. Lucy and her friends thought it was all another ruse to get them to drop their guard, but after look went and spoke to their parents who confirmed it, followed by their parents filing a missing persons report, the girls believe that maybe something terrible had happened to them.

 Lucy hated not being at school with her friends. She would text Abby, Linda and Cassy while they were at school but had to wait until they were in-between classes before they replied. She counted the minutes until school was out so she could see her friends, as well as Hayden who had made a habit of coming over around dinner time bringing with him whatever his mother had cooked that day, they would watch some TV, talk and always end the night with him reading to her. It was fast becoming her favorite time of the day.

It was now Friday morning, she had finally managed to convince Travis that she would be ok at home by herself. He had already left for work and school would be starting shortly. Lucy had woken feeling much better; if it wasn’t for the yellow bruise that now covered her face she would have went to school she wasn’t looking forward to another day of being stuck inside by herself.  She lounged on one of the chairs in the family room and flicked the channels with the remote, finding nothing remotely interesting to watch when there was a knock on the front door.

“Hayden!” Her voice hitched in surprise “What are you doing here I thought you would be at school?”

“I decided to skip school.” He said shrugging his shoulders “Can I come in?”

“Oh yeah sure” She said stepping back from the door.

“How are you feeling today?”

“Better.” She said “Besides being bored out of my mind. I can’t believe I’m going to say this but I miss going to school,” she said as she walked back into the family room.

He laughed, shaking his head “You must be extremely bored if you are saying that.”

“Yeah”  She took her seat, picking the remote to the tv up. “I was just trying to find something to watch.”

Taking a seat beside her he reached over taking the remote out of her hand “I have an idea, that may help with your boredom.”

“Is that right?” She asked raising an eyebrow at him “And what pay tell what this idea be?”

“Ah well that would be a surprise.” His eyes roomed from her head to her bare feet. “You will need shoes.”

“You’re taking me out of the house?” She asked unsure if she wanted to leave the safety of her home.