Chapter 9

Chapter 9

For Xander

The next day, Juvia went to her office. She is nervous. She felt like she will see Gray again in the office since he is his boss’ boss.

“Good morning, Juvia!” her co-worker greeted her. She smiled.

“Are you already fine?” Klare asked her with concern. It’s been two days since their work got rejected. And they have been very eager to finish the presentation this week.

“We’ve been re-doing the presentation Juvia.” Mike said.

“Oh I’m sorry I was absent.” Juvia apologized.

“It was alright. You’re the one who did a lot of work the last time; we should repay you for doing this one.” Mike said.

“Alright but I still have to work with you. I’ll help.” Juvia said and Mike and Klare nodded. They started their work. They we’re brainstorming on the presentation Gray had rejected over a days ago.

Speaking of Gray, he didn’t come back. He said he needed to be in his meeting. Juvia could not refuse. Of course, why would she not let him go? But he didn’t text or call Juvia after. Gray wasn’t obliged to do so but Juvia expected it. And it saddens her. She expected Gray will come back. For Xander, at least. But he did not. They didn’ have the chance to talk that day.

The three of them heard a knock on the door. They all look at who it is. It was Denise, the secretary of the President and CEO.

“Uhm, excuse me but Juvia is being summoned at the President’s office.” Denise said.

Juvia stood straight and she suddenly became nervous. Oh no! She remembered the other day the argument she had with Gray! It was misbehavior. She yelled at his boss’ boss. She swallowed hard as she looked at Denise with a worried look.

“M-Mr. Fullbuster is here. He was actually looking for you.” Denise said. That made Juvia tense.

“Oh-Okay.” She said and left Mike and Klare at their desk.

She is following Denise through President’s office. Gray is the one who called her. She is irritated at some point because he is using his power and authority with his desires. She thinks that isn’t fair. She sighed.

When they were at the floor of the President’s office, Juvia became more nervous. The President is there. Gray is there. She is clueless of what they will say. She thinks about what happened yesterday. Is it about Xander? Or is about the way I behave around my boss’ boss?

Denise opened the door for her.

“Ms. Lockser is already here.” Denise said. Then, she glanced at the table where she thought her boss is. But he wasn’t there. Instead, Gray is sitting in the President’s swivel chair.  His hands are intertwined with his, elbow resting on the desk. He looks at Juvia seriously. She gulped at the sight.

“Thank you, Ms. Denise. You may leave.” Gray said in a very calm and deep voice. It made her shiver. He is wearing again a suit and tie. And that gray necktie suits him very well.

Denise left the room. Juvia walked towards the couch near his boss’ table. She saw Gray stood up.

“I-I’m sorry about yesterday.” He said softly. Juvia was in shock when he heard that. Earlier, he had this authoritative, deep and cold voice, now he had this soft, gentle and deep voice at her.

He called me for this? She asked. Her eyebrows met in confusion of his apology. “What?”

“I’m sorry I didn’t go back for Xander. And we didn’t have the chance to talk.” He said. He looked sincere saying it Juvia. And Juvia was rendered speechless.