| 02 |: Eyes of Twilight

The world that graced her eyes was very different than what she was used to. Lush green plains with flourishing trees and wildflowers, and fluffy white clouds adorning a clear blue sky... She remembered them as the last few sights she saw before Morax petrified her in Guyun Stone Forest.

Squeezing her eyes shut, she pressed her face against Aether's nape. She wanted to hate Morax for taking away her freedom, but there was something, like a separate entity living in her subconscious begging her to not hate him and to not live for revenge. Aether felt (y/n) tighten her arms around him and mistook it as her becoming restless.

"We're almost there so hang on for a bit, okay?" Aether asked, smiling at her over his shoulder.

Snapping out of her thoughts, she quietly replied, "Yes, Aether."

As they neared Dawn Winery, the Traveler spotted Diluc having a conversation with Connor by the vineyard. Before Aether could call for Diluc, Paimon beat him to it, popping into existence and yelling, "Hi Master Diluc! Long time no see!"

The redhead immediately shifted his attention to the travelling pair, and that was when he noticed Aether carrying an unfamiliar woman on his back. He narrowed his eyes slightly and dismissed Connor with a wave of his hand, before folding his arms over his chest.

"Hello Aether. You didn't tell me you were returning to Mondstadt; had you informed me of your visit ahead of time, I would have made the necessary preparations to give you a proper welcome," he uttered. Although Diluc was speaking to Aether, the latter wasn't oblivious to his gaze that was on (y/n). It was as if Diluc was judging whether or not she would pose as a threat to Mondstadt.

"There's no need to trouble yourself," he said, letting out an airy laugh, "Also, could you please do me a favour? I really need your help."

Diluc arched an eyebrow at Aether's urgent tone. "Of course. How may I be of assistance?"

With a nervous smile, Aether nodded back at (y/n). "Until I'm able to provide a home for both of us, could she stay at your residence? It will only be temporary, and I promise that I'll cover any of her expenses."

The (h/c)-haired female was surprised that Aether was willing to take full responsibility of her, despite knowing little to nothing about her past. In a way, he reminded her of Dainsleif. The kindness he had shown her so far dampened the bitterness she felt towards the Archons, who stripped her of every sense of freedom she had.

Diluc stared at Aether for a good while. He then released a muted sigh and nodded. "Since it is you who asked... Very well." His vermilion eyes flickered over to (y/n). "I'm Diluc Ragnvindr of Mondstadt. May I ask what your name is?"

Upon hearing his question, she immediately got off Aether's back and bowed with her hand on her chest, surprising everyone. "My name is (y/n)."

"No surname?" the redhead asked.

"I was never given one. However, I do remember being called by another name: Gungnir," she answered, straightening her back again.

Gungnir... It sounded like an important name so he decided to make a mental note of it.

"I see. Come inside, (y/n)," he said, motioning towards the entrance of his manor, "I'll lend you a spare maid uniform for the time being. I don't think what you're wearing right now is adequate enough."

(Y/n) gave no reaction to his comment while Aether blushed in her stead.

As he turned towards the road leading to Mondstadt, he stammered, "I-I'll go buy her some clothes now! See you later!"

"I'll come with you," (y/n) said, moving to follow him. Paimon squeaked and quickly pulled her to Diluc's side by tugging the back of her makeshift dress.