"What use is that? How many times have you seen someone wrestle someone to death?" Katsuki said with disgust.

"If someone comes at you with a knife, you'll have a better chance of winning. But if I get jumped, I'm dead!" (M/N) could hear the anger rising in his voice.

"I have NO chance of winning! Alright?!" Katsuki suddenly shouted, effectively silencing (M/N). "You know what my mother said to me? She said District 12 might finally have a winner, but she wasn't talking about me, she was talking about you."

That stopped (M/N) from arguing back. Did his mother really rate him over her own son? Looking into Katsuki's eyes, (M/N) could see the pain hidden behind his anger. He looked down at the bread roll on his plate, reliving the memories of that cold, wet day outside the bakery, before reverting his gaze back to Katsuki.

"The only reason I've survived is because someone helped me."

He saw Katsuki's eyes flicker down to the bread roll, and (M/N) knew he remembered that day as well. But he just shrugged. "People will help you in the arena. They'll be tripping over each other to sponsor you."

"No more than you," (M/N) responded.

Katsuki rolled his eyes once again, this time at Shota. "He has no idea. The effect he can have."

The three sat in silence for a few seconds, while (M/N) just frowned. What effect do I have? That I'm weak and needy? Is he trying to suggest that I got good deals because people pitied me? Perhaps some merchants were a little generous in their trades, but I always attributed that to their long-standing relationship with my father. Besides, my game is first class. No one pitied me! (M/N) scowled at his food, thinking Katsuki just meant to insult him.

It was at this moment that Shota decided to speak up, "Well, there's no guarantee there'll be bows and arrows in the arena, but make sure you show the gamemakers what you can do during your private session. Until then, stay clear of archery. Are you any good at trapping?"

"I know a few basic snares," (M/N) muttered.

"That may be significant in terms of food," Shota said. "And Katsuki, he's right, never underestimate strength in the arena. Very often, physical power tilts the advantage to a player. In the Tribute Center, they will have weights, but don't reveal how much you can lift in front of the other tributes. The plan's the same for both of you. You go to group training, spend the time trying to learn something you don't know, save showing what you're best at until your private sessions. Are we clear?"

Both boys gave a nod.

"Good, one last thing. In public, I want you by each other's side every minute," Shota said, causing them both to start objecting, but Shota slammed his hand on the table. "Every minute! It's not open for discussion! You agreed to do as I said! You will be together, you will appear friendly to each other in the eyes of the other tributes."

(M/N) bit his lip to stop any complaints from coming out as he got up and made his way up to his room, making sure both males could hear him slam the door. Shota was trying to keep up their facade of being friends to the public, but (M/N) couldn't see the point anymore. More precisely, he no longer cared. He sat on his bed, hating Shota, hating Katsuki, and hating himself for bringing up that day from long ago in the rain.

What a joke. Him and Katsuki pretending to be friends. Talking up each other's strengths, insisting the other take credit for their abilities. (M/N) found it so stupid. At some point, they would have to drop this act, and everyone would see them for who they really were. 

Enemies. 

Enemies that were going to kill each other in that arena. (M/N) was willing to accept that, if only it weren't for Shota's instructions on them continuing this happy-go-lucky friendship act, when both (M/N) and Katsuki obviously didn't want to be near each other at the moment.

He heard Katsuki's voice in his head. He has no idea. The effect he can have. (M/N) was almost certain it was meant to demean him. Although a tiny part of him couldn't help but wonder if he really meant it as a compliment, that Katsuki thought he was appealing in some way. He still found it weird, how much the boy had noticed him. Like the attention he'd paid to (M/N)'s hunting. Though (M/N) realised he'd also been paying attention to the other. How else would he know about his strength?

Looking up at the clock, (M/N) saw it was almost ten. He went into the bathroom and brushed his teeth, before fixing his messy hair. His anger had temporarily blocked the nervousness he felt about facing the other tributes in the Training Center, but he could now feel the anxiety bubbling up again. By the time he met up with Emi and Katsuki at the elevator, his heart was pounding. 

Calm down (M/N), don't let it show.

He took a deep breath and stepped into the elevator.

---