angelina and elodie's shift was prepared to end around one, and it was only just hitting noon. the phone rang through the diner only loud enough for the people behind the counter to hear it, and angelina looked towards elodie in a way to say i'll get it.

"hello, thanks for calling moon dance diner, my name's angelina, how can i help?" she said, watching a toddler throw a fit at the table by the door.

"do you take reservations?"

"no, this is a diner," angelina yawned. "first come first serve."

"i fucking hate diners." the lady scoffed on the phone, causing angelina to put it down immediately back on the counter. people can be assholes. yikes.

the bell by the entrance door rang again. "hey, just sit anywhere you want. i'll be with you in a second." she said, not looking up from where she was already grabbing a couple menus as elodie was telling the chefs a new order.

"is the bar available to sit at?" an oh so familiar voice caused angelina to look up immediately.

"hey," she scratched the back of her head. "go for it, you want something?"

"just wanted to see you, if that's cool?" ranboo's statement seemed more into the form of a question. angelina nodded.

"well, seriously - you gotta order something. my manager is coming in today, if she sees you 'loitering', she'll make you get out," the raven-haired girl smiled kindly. "so, welcome to moon dance diner, what can i get for you?"

ranboo shrugged as he looked down at the menu that angelina slid over for him to look at.

"just a coffee, i guess," he shrugged. brand new city by mitski began playing in the background. "and some of your time, if that's allowed?" he smiled.

angelina chuckled quietly and nodded. ranboo began to take out money from his pocket, but she quickly held her hand out and shook her head. "no, no, no, it's on the house, ranboo. i can cover it."

"really?"

angelina looked around her surroundings quickly.

"should be fine. honestly, i let people off all the time because i'm just too nice. there was a dad and his daughter, it was so cute, she was asking me all these questions about how we frost the donuts- FUCK, FUCK, SHIT-"

ranboo hadn't even noticed she was pouring the coffee, and clearly, she didn't either. over pouring the hot liquid, it spilt on her hands. and trust — angelina made her coffee hot.

there was red all over her hands, as angelina frantically used her apron to wipe off all the coffee, which really only made the blisters that were appearing feel worse.

a panicking elodie came from the back, now that there was more of a rush of people coming in. far too much was happening at once, and someone needed to act quick, or else things could go even worse.

before he knew it, ranboo was on the opposite side of the counter, guiding angelina very quickly (yet carefully) to a sink in the back. this definitely isn't allowed, he thought, but getting yelled at by his best friend's manager wasn't really his top concern at the very moment.

"okay, i don't do very well with this sort of thing, but i'll try," he spoke quickly, making angelina hold her hand under running cold water. she stopped cursing, but was still breathing quickly. ranboo frantically searched around the room they were in for a first-aid kit. "we just have to wrap it. i know putting ice or cream is bad."

"over there, by the coffee grounds," angelina pointed to a red and white first-aid kit on the wall, only using her foot for direction. ranboo jogged towards it, unclipping it and digging through it.

the red was still at its best, and angelina felt as though it would never go away. damn her clumsiness.

"okay, i'm gonna wrap it. tell me if it's too tight."

angelina nodded as ranboo wrapped the burn in gauze and dark blue cohesive tape. he's been in these situations before, with a younger sister who gets into a lot of softball accidents. she's a massive shit talker, for a fourteen year old.

ranboo placed gauze in all the places there was blisters, which was technically just all across her hand, partially leading up to her wrist. he quickly wrapped it with the blue cohesive, ripping the end off with his teeth.

"maybe i should go to university, seems like i'd be a pretty good doctor, huh?" he said amused, waving angelina's arm around in the air jokingly.

"about that-"

"i'm sorry." they chorused, both smiling in the end. ranboo placed his hands on angelina's shoulders, letting her hand go. "i should've told you. sorry for ruining our plans."

"it's okay. i shouldn't gave gotten all worked up about it." angelina let out a small grin and patted his forearm. "we should probably get back out there ... elodie is most likely dying up front." she broke the silence, and the eye contact.

"yeah - right," ranboo nodded. he put on an apron, while angelina furrowed her eyebrows. "what are you doin'?" she questioned.

"you're injured, lina. it's the least i could do." he placed his hands on his hips proudly, before slipping on gloves.

angelina laughed and rolled her eyes. "you need a name tag, hold on." she held up a finger as if telling him not to go anywhere, bending down over a notepad of sticky notes. quickly writing ranboo :) on it, she stuck it on where his heart would be.

"wow, thank you, lina. i feel really at home now. i'm keeping this name tag forever."

rolling her eyes, angelina put a pair of new gloves onto her hands, leading the way to the front. "come on, boy that's working for no money, you're on coffee duty."

"putting me on duty for the things that nearly chopped your hands off, i see how it is." ranboo shook his head.

"i'm hoping there's less of a chance you burn your hands off," she laughed. "if you did, i'm calling 911. actually, you might have to do that. i'll be too busy panicking."

☽˚⁀➷ AUTHOR NOTE . . . ⚘
ass tbh????

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━