Chapter 1

Portland, Oregon. 2015

In the Willamette Region of the Pacific Northwest, between the Pacific Ocean and the Cascade Mountains, there is a city called Portland. Portland is different than any other American cities because of the diversity found here. From hipsters to rappers to rockers or supernatural society. Some say Portland is a magical place, indeed it is.

         Outside, spring makes it feel its presence. The winter days are over and the city drowns in sunshine. I look out the window getting lost in the beauty of city and how the sunshine rays are reflected in the windows of the building in front of her high school. I am awaken from this fantasy by the piece of paper thrown in my shoulder.

“Ouch” I mumble.

I sigh and pick it up from the floor. Before I open it, I make sure, Mr. Smith is not looking in my direction, otherwise, he will put me to explain why Blanche DuBois is such an important character. I would not mind to do this but you see, when someone puts you do to the same thing for numerous times, it becomes dull. When I open the piece of paper, I immediately recognize the scribbling writing. It is Lucy’s, my best friend. It says “2 MORE WEEKS UNTIL SPRING BREAK WOHOOO SUPER EXCITED”. I smile to myself and thinking about how great this holiday is going to be. I will finally be away from my crazy family coven. For those of you who do not know, I am a witch. Shocking, I know. I was born in the Crowder Coven which is known for their powerful energy spells but not me. I hate magic, this is why the spring break is the best opportunity for me to run away from here. I have always been a rebel, I do not obey the coven’s rules, I never go to the coven meetings and refuse using my magic. Because of this, my parents call me an “abomination”. I sigh. Just thinking about that word and it gives me goose bumps all over my body. It has had such a powerful impact on me. I was six years old when my older sister, Hannah, decided to teach me some basic spells that apparently I had to know by the age of nine. When I heard her chanting and saw her with her eyes closed in an unresponsive state. It scared me and I told myself I will never use magic. Maybe it is a stupid reason. However, when Hannah tried to make me change my mind about it, my mother came running towards me and instead of trying to help me, she yelled at me saying I am a disgrace for the coven, that I am an abomination. Since then, it has become an usual routine to be called this. Days spent crying in my room because of my parents’ treatment towards me, they cannot accept their daughter how it is really like. They do not even let their children to go to college because when you are a witch, the coven is your life as they say. I pull out the acceptance letter from Columbia University which was underneath my English notebook and I skim over it for one more time. Since I got accepted, I have had the letter always with me because I do not want my parents to know about my plans for the future. In a few months, I will be far away from Portland, I will live in New York chasing my dream of becoming a journalist. I am interrupted from my thoughts by the bell. The class is over which means I have to go home and confront my coven.

“ Are you going to Josh’s party tonight, Skylar?” Lucy asks me as we go out from the class.

I look at her.

“ For sure. I will text you when I sneak out of the house.” I say smiling. Sneaking out is like breathing. I do it all the time since my family does not allow me to go out saying that it is dangerous to exposure myself. It is not like I go around telling people about my supernatural powers. Not even Lucy knows about what I am and she is my best friend.

Lucy grabs me by the shoulders and shakes me.

“ What is wrong with you? What’s up with all this daydreaming?” she asks concerned

“ Nothing. It is just…I want to leave Portland already. I am ready to start a new life.” I slam the door of my locker and make my way to the school exit. Lucy quietly follows me, she does not add anything to my comment because she knows the reason why I want to leave this city and study in NYC.

We are heading to the parking lot where Lucy’s car is or Bestie as we call it.  Bestie is a red VW Beetle. I get in the car and turn on the radio, searching for our favorite radio station. When I find it, I turn up the volume, Lucy rolls the car windows down, we bursts out singing on “TGIF by Katy Perry” while the Bestie makes its way through the traffic of Portland.

         When we approach the street I live on, she stops the car just around the corner of my house. She turns off the radio and looks at me, concerned. I stare at her with a smile on my face.

“What?” I ask

“Sky, I am worried for you. I know how much you dislike your parents because they are strict to you and do not agree with what you do but…” I interrupt her.

“ Try to live them everyday and then you can criticize me” I say it in a harsh tone and then I get out of the car and slam the door.

I suppress a crying. No one understands me because they do not know how it is like to be a part of a coven and be called “abomination” everyday by those who are suppose to love you.  I get in the house, my parents are in the kitchen, making lunch. I greet them and my father gestures me to sit at the table. I sit at the table and quietly wait for one of them to speak up. My father with his back to me, while doing the dishes, starts talking to me.

“ How was school today? Did the little rebel of you come up to surface today?” Before I get to open my mouth to answer, he quickly adds “Oops, I forgot that I do not make conversation with an abomination. Anyway, after lunch, we are going to the Parkers!”

“ What?! No!” I say raising my voice.

The Parkers are close friends with my family. They are a coven just like us. The name of their coven is the Gemini. What makes them different than our coven is the way they choose their leader. When a pair of twins were born into the coven, they would undergo the Merge once they reached the age of twenty-two. The stronger of the two would claim his twin’s power and emerge more powerful. His twin would die and the survivor would become the new leader of the Coven. I would never be able to kill my twin sister only because of stupid coven, however, people in the supernatural world would disagree with me.

My parents stop from preparing lunch and stare at me, my mother decides to intervene.

“ It is Joshua’s birthday and he invited us over. Please, do not be like this and for once, try to be involved in this coven stuff.”

Cannot they see how insane Joshua Parker is? I loathe that man. When he comes to visit, he greets me by saying “oh look, another abomination. I thought my son was the only one!”

“ Let’s go to the Parkers then!” I say trying to sound excited.

Hello ‘errrbody :D This is my first fanfic ever! What do you think of the first chapter?