39 | parasite

Evelyn

A few hours ago...

My gaze wanders outside at the three men who are carrying my sofa to the moving truck. My breath fogs up the window so I tilt my head only to take in the emptiness of my apartment. I almost choke at the sight of my hollow living room; it looks so bare and plain without the couch, in the middle of the room and the recliner. The kitchen looks strange without the table, but that isn't bothering me as much. At least I can still eat my dinner at the kitchen island. My home looks so cold with all that missing furniture.

At least it still looks inhabitable with the remaining armchair and the fluffy cushions, the coffee table and the rug that covers the floor. With the last pieces of décor, I guess you can call my home pretty minimalistic. It's not bad, but all the empty space that's left makes me feel uncomfortable. The landlord has been giving me a bit of a hard time with the rent, so now that I'm about to get rid of my uncle for good, I can finally focus on paying her and of course Sam. I know that Sam isn't going to make a big deal out of it, but I still feel weird for borrowing money from him.

I'm currently sitting on the windowsill with my legs pulled against my chest as I let out a breath of relief to the fact that at last the remaining one thousand dollars has been wired into my account. All there's left to do is go to an ATM and withdraw the money before I meet my uncle at seven.

My phone vibrates in my pocket and I take it out only to see my uncle's name light up the screen. Speak of the fucking devil.

"What?" I snap into the phone as soon as I pick up the call.

My uncle says, "Do you have my money?"

"I only have to withdraw one grand from the ATM." I tell him.

"Good girl." He mewls. "I'll see you at seven at the Clover. Don't be late."

I hang up without saying a thing then head into my bedroom to change into some decent clothes and I settle on a navy Nike hoodie and a pair of matchstick jeans. Then I quickly grab the shoe box with the cash from my closet, my phone and my keys and with no further ado, I head out the door. I enter my car and place the shoebox on the passenger's seat before starting the engine. I rip off the elastic that secures my hair because my head is starting to hurt and with a tilt of the steering wheel, I drift into the streets. Once I reach the ATM, I quickly withdraw the remaining one grand and put it into a zip lock. I shove the cash into my hoodie pocket then jog back into my car. I check the time and it's already six thirty.

I have to hurry.

I rummage through my glove department to find my watermelon lip balm when I stumble upon my Lithium pill case. There are seven slots marked with the seven days of the week and five out of seven are still full. I haven't had a proper dosage of my medication in weeks. I've been sneaking a pill or two during the week just to keep the edge off, but it doesn't help much with the stress. I've been popping sleeping pills to help with that. At least I'm still in control. I haven't had an episode, because of my rather creative coping mechanisms. I can handle this and starting from tomorrow, I'll go back to Mr. Torrance's office and he will put me back on track. This time I'm willing to go through the plan and I will be taking my meds regularly.

The Clover is a bar located near Azure Street and Jared tends to enjoy wasting his time and money away with his friends. During the day it's not as packed, but at this hour it will be crawling with people and creeps, so the quicker I get rid of him, the faster I'll be getting back into my apartment.

I happen to get to the bar earlier than Jared, so I just take a seat in the bar and wait for him to arrive. I order a glass of beer because all this pent-up stress and anxiety has built up quite the thirst. It doesn't take long though, because he enters the bar five minutes later.