Chapter 25

*LINDSEY POV*

I'm guessing Hayes would be over soon. He said he was coming over for dinner at 6 and it's already 5:28. I showered and did my hair and make up. I decided to wear dark washed high waisted denim shorts and a pink Victoria Secret shirt that said 'PINK' down the sleeves but had 3-quarter length sleeves. I tucked my shirt in because it was a little long and looked better tucked in. I slipped on some brown sandals and walked downstairs. I click the button on my phone bringing my screen to like. The time read 5:57. I hopped on the couch and flicked on the tv because I had nothing else to do and they weren't here yet. A few minutes passed and we heard a knock at the door.

"I got it!" I hopped off the couch and opened the door to reveal Hayes, Elizabeth his mother, His step-dad, Skylynn, and of course Nash. Wow his whole family came. I let them in and received warm hugs from them all. Hayes looked so good and it didn't look like he was even trying. He had on khaki shorts with red vans and a red Magcon shirt. His family all went into the kitchen where they asked if they could help with anything and then all sat in the living room with my parents and Jake.

I leaned over to Hayes and whispered in his ear, "we have a game room upstairs if you don't want to stay down here." His face instantly brightened and we both hopped up and dashed upstairs.

"Bet Ya I can beat you in a game of pool." We both chuckled and I took on the challenge.

"Your on Grier!" We started playing and I was beating him at the moment. It was my turn and I was about to go when his voice broke my concentration.

"I've missed you Lindsey. It's not the same without you in North Carolina." I stopped because I could tell he was growing serious. I looked up at him and he was leaning against the pool table.

"Yeah, I've missed you too. My mom says we are moving back home soon but I don't know. Wait, why are you in Arizona anyways?" I kinda chuckled and then he started coming closer.

"Magcon...but I was hoping I would bump into you." He laced his fingers in mine and we stood there staring at each other. Until he ruined the moment by blurting out, "I gotta pee." We both laughed at his random outbursts and he went to use the bathroom. While he was gone I grabbed his phone and took selfies on it but my selfies were interrupted by a message.
I looked, being the nosy person I am.

'1 new message from Kaylee'
"Hey Babe! I miss you so much!!! When do you think you'll be home? XOXO -Kaylee"

I was so hurt. Was Hayes cheating on me? I knew this wouldn't work out me being in Arizona and him being all the way across the country in North Carolina. I shouldn't have trusted him. I heard footsteps so I put down his phone and fought back the tears.

"I'm back...so are you ready to be crushed in this pool game and then maybe after if they aren't ready to eat you me and you can talk? Like we used to when we would hang out at each other's house. Long talks?" I didn't want him to know that I was creeping on his phone because I wasn't...not really.

"Uhh...yeah, no that's the thing...I think it's best if we don't date anymore...long distance relationships...th-they never work." I set down the pool stick and just on perfect timing my mom called for dinner.

"What? What changed? One minute you act like you like me and now you don't want to date anymore?" He looked hurt and sad. I can't feel bad for him! He's the one who's cheating on me with 'KAYLEE'.

I avoided his question and changed the subject. "We should get down there before they get angry." I walked out the room and down the stairs and took my seat at the table. I was sitting directly across from Hayes. Great.

Dinner was very awkward. Hayes and I didn't say a word and when it was over our moms out dishes away and everyone else sat in the living room watching the football game. I stood up and turned towards my dad.

"I think I'm going to go take a walk." I say and head towards the door until I hear a familiar voice chime in "yeah me too." It was Hayes. I didn't want to make a scene so I just let him tag along knowing that he would bring up are previous argument. We entered the dark and I started down the sideway. I didn't know many places to go but I did know that if I went right and walked for a little while I would end up at the lake that me and my dad were going to go fishing at later on. So I went right.

"So...you wanna explain why you just randomly ended our relationship because I thought everything was going great." I guess he does deserve an answer. 'No Lindsey! Snap out of it! He's the one cheating.' I continued walking towards the lake.

"Like I said...I may not be coming back so there for our relationship most likely won't work out. We both know they never do so this way we won't have to worry about stupid things interrupting us OR the other person CHEATING on the other." I was trying to signal I hint but I guess he didn't pick it up. We kept walking and it was silent for a good 10 minutes and I could finally see the lake in the distance. It looked really pretty and I was taking it all in but of course he had to ruin that by talking and asking EVEN MORE questions.

"Lindsey...you are the worst liar ever. I know that's not the real reason so please, just talk to me, atleast tell me what went wrong. I deserve that much." It was getting harder and harder to hold back my tears until finally let went cascade down my cheek. That's it. I'm just going to tell him. By now I was slightly crying.

"Fine, you want the truth? The truth is I know about Kaylee. I know your cheating on me so why do you care so much about 'Why'...why do you even act like you care? I hope this is what you wanted because you got your wish. Go on! Your single now so go call Kaylee and tell her the great news...just leave me alone." I was crying hard now because I really thought he cared. I was sure he felt the same way I did but I guess I was wrong. I sat down criss cross on the edge of the pier.i could vaguely see my reflection and for some reason it made me cry even more. I didn't hear Hayes anymore so I figured he left which hurt me. I know I told him to leave but a part of me wanted him to stay and try to fix it. I heard shuffling from behind me and I turned around to see him walking over to me. He took a seat next to me on the pier.

"Lindsey...I can explain it all, but if you don't want to hear it just tell me. I see why you would hate me and its not what it looks like but I care the world about you so I will explain if you want me to or I will leave if you want me to." I kinda wanted to hear what he had to say but then again I don't know if I could believe him.

"You've got 5 minutes go..."