nightmare

~The Great Hall~

~The Great Hall~

On Sunday morning during breakfast, a red letter was attached to a Black family owl.

A howler.

This one was a howler from the worst person you could get it from.

Walburga Black.

Sirius' wretched mother.

Sat on the table was the usual bunch: the Marauders, Isabel, Lily and Marlene, in their usual seats.

The owl dropped the letter off and immediately took off back to its dull home.

As soon as the horrid letter hit the wooden table, it came alive, forming a pair of lips, and turned to face Sirius.

"YOU PATHETIC EXCUSE OF A SON. I CAN NOT BELIEVE YOU WOULD PUNCH AND INJURE A FELLOW MEMBER OF THE SACRED TWENTY EIGHT PUREBLOOD FAMILY. THAT IS PRECIOUS BLOOD. HOW DARE YOU, SIRIUS BLACK. START ACTING LIKE YOUR BROTHER AND JOIN YOUR FAMILY PROPERLY. LEAVE THESE BLOOD TRAITORS AND MUDBLOODS BE. THEY HAVE NO RIGHTS WHATSOEVER. START ACTING LIKE YOU ARE APART OF THIS FAMILY AND START BEING THE SON I ALWAYS WANTED YOU TO BE, JUST LIKE YOUR BROTHER.  YOU BETTER APOLOGISE AT ONCE, YOUNG MAN, OTHERWISE YOU WILL OFFICIALLY BE CONSIDERED A TRAITOR YOURSELF."

Walburga's voice hissed harshly in Sirius' face and teared itself to shreds, the remains of paper floating onto the table.

Sure, a hangover after that party was terrible, but that letter was so much worse.

Sirius flinched the whole way though his mother's jarring words and squeezed his eyes shut, as if it was one of his nightmare he kept having.

But it wasn't. This was real.

And it was in front of the whole school who sat down for breakfast.

Sirius sat in silence. He didn't move nor did he say anything, he was just staring into space, emotionless.

His friends looked at him sympathetically. They all know how Sirius is the black sheep of the Black family but only James and Isabel know how bad it really is for him.

"Padfoot-" James started but was interrupted by Sirius standing up and rushing out of the hall. 

Behind her, Isabel could hear all the Slytherins sniggering and gossiping about the letter so she turned around and narrowed her eyes at the table until she spotted Regulus staring at where his brother was sat before his departure. Rosier, with a swollen face, and Snape were sat next to him, laughing, while Regulus didn't really know what to do. 

Should I talk to Sirius? Or should I talk to Isabel? Sirius is my brother. I still love him.

James was about to get up and go after his mate until Isabel spoke calmly, "I'll go."