Forget me not(1)

'Station 19 respond to apartment fire at Alki Avenue' The Klaxons went off the and all the firefighters jumped into their gears to respond to the call.

The fire had started on the 3rd floor but had soon spread across the building. Multiple Stations were summoned, Battalion Chief was put in-charge of the scene and, therefore, even the Captains of all the Stations were ordered to go into the building. Station 19 was put on rescue duty, so all of them spread across the building trying to get everyone out.

Ben and Warren were on Aid Car while the others entered the building. Andy and Jack covered the first two floors, Maya and Vic were handling the 3rd and 4th floors while Miller, Sullivan and Cutler were respectively checking the 5th, 6th and 7th floors.

Loud banging on the doors of houses were followed by 'This is your friendly Fire Department. We need you to evacuate the building as soon as possible as the fire is spreading quickly!'

A few minutes later there was an arriving radio message for Maya, "Hughes to Captain Bishop! If you are done on the 3rd floor, I need your help in house number 409 on 4th floor."

"Copy that! I'll be there in a minute," Maya said and moved to help Vic after evacuating her entire floor.

When she reached there, among the growing smoke she could faintly see an old woman and who was having difficulty in walking and breathing along with a young boy who had a big plaster around his right leg and was standing with the help of crutches.

"I have made sure everyone else is out. These are the last two civilians on this floor. We have to get them out soon but I can't do it alone," Hughes said as she was helping the old woman.

"I will get the kid out," Maya said as she went and kneeled down in front of the boy, "Hey! I'm Captain Maya Bishop and I'm here to get you out. What's your name?"

"Eli," The boy responded shyly.

"Okay Eli, I will pick you up now and I will get you out of here," Maya said as she took off her helmet and placed it on Eli's head. The structural integrity of the building was comprised and they all could see the cracks forming on the ceilings. Maya couldn't put the kid's life to risk so she secured the helmet around his tiny head. She wrapped her left arm around Eli and took his crutches in her right and started walking out.

Vic got out of the building first and returned to help Maya. But, just when she took Eli over in her hands they heard the ceiling above crack. Before Vic knew what was happening Maya had pushed both of them away from her and got trapped under huge chunks of debris that fell when a part of the ceiling collapsed.

"Maya! Mayday! Mayday! Firefighter down!" Vic shouted. She quickly ran out of the door to drop of Eli and then entered the building again with a few other firefighters for help.

They quickly moved the weight crushing on top of her but Maya was unconscious. They put her on a stretcher and got her out immediately.

"Maya! Maya! Wake up! Can you hear us?"

She was quickly taken to Grey Sloan where after a head CT Amelia diagnosed her with severe concussion. No surgery was required but due to to a cut on her head, it was wrapped in a thick white bandage.

Carina had been in surgery the whole time so she knew nothing about what had happened. She got out of the OR and was heading down to her office when Levi came rushing towards her.

"Dr. DeLuca...thank god you are here now!" He said panting.

"Calm down, Glasses, what happened?" Carina asked.

"It's your...wife. Captain Bishop...Maya was in an accident!"

The moment she heard the news, she felt everything around her go numb. As if she were standing on a busy street with people bustling around her but she didn't move an inch. Levi held her by the shoulder and jerked her a little to bring her out of her daydream. He quickly asked her to follow him and took her to Maya's room while explaining the whole situation to her.