Chapter 52

Chapter 52

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Ya know, sad songs don't really help my mood. But it's not like anything will anyway.

And I'd be blessed by the light of your company,
Slowly lifting me to somewhere new

Oh can you tell, I haven't slept very well
Since the last time that we spoke

The sounds flow through my speakers as I trace Luke's oddly cool fingers. I know he's not dead, but sometimes it feels like it.

I can see his chest rise and fall with his steady breathing and hear the heart monitor on its endless loop but the rest of his body is just so... still. His hair is a mess, and no matter how many times I run my fingers through his soft locks, it stays the same. Kinda like my life right now. I try to go through and put some order to it, but it's still messy and just haphazardly, well,  everywhere.

Before i got here he had already been put through a CT scan, MRI, and a EEG. Those just scan hos brain for different things. The results, as I am told, are taking longer than expected. But even when they do come in, the doctor will wait for his family to get here anyway.

So don't fall in love, there's just too much to lose
If you're given the choice, then I beg you to choose
To walk away, walk away, don't let her get you.
I can't bear to see the same happen to you.

Why did I put so much Mayday Parade on this playlist?

Great, now I'm crying.

I am not sobbing anymore. I've lost all that energy a while ago. The tears just roll down my cheeks. I don't even bother with makeup, it'll just come off anyway. I wipe my eyes with a hand, while the other is still clutching Luke's.

The door starts to open and I try to compose myself, but I'm pretty sure I failed miserably. Rachel silently enters, shutting the door behind her.

"Oh girl, you look like hell." She says softly, coming over to hug me.

"Well that's only fitting, since I feel like it." I force a dry laugh through my throat.

"Have you even slept or eaten anything in the past couple days?" I shake my head slightly. "Oh sweetie, c'mon,  let's go get you some food."

She takes my hand and tries to lead me out, but I am still tightly holding the one belonging to the comatose boy.

"He'll be fine Nik. We are only gonna be gone five minutes." I place his hand by his side, grab my phone and follow Rachel out. I stay silent and I can tell Rachel is getting a little uncomfortable.

"Hey Nikki, don't be like that. He's gonna be fine. In a couple of weeks, she will be awake and everything will be better."

"Or he might not wake up at all."

"We don't know that. The results will help us understand the extent of the damage, and then we'll know better how long he will be out."

"If the results ever come."

"Stop being such a debbie downer."

"Yeah I'll tell you that when your boyfriend wakes up in a coma when the last thing you told him was to fuck off!" I almost yell at her. She was silent before she quietly added.

"I don't have a boyfriend."

"Oh please, like you and Calum are "just friends"? That's funny, really." I retorted, still a little pissed. She blushed, ignoring my mood completely.

"What'd ya mean?"

"Don't 'what'd ya mean' me! You guys are all over each other!"

"Am not!"

"Are to!"

"D-2!"

"Fuckin nerd." I shake my head.

"You love me anyway!" She says, wrapping her arm around my neck and squishing our cheeks together.

"Ya know who else loves you?" I whisper

"Oh piss off." She replies

My phone goes off in my back pocket, signaling a text. I pull in out and it's from Ashton.

A: the results are in
     get here asap

I let out a heavy sigh, reality coming back to slap me in the face.

"We gotta go back to the hospital,  the results are in." I say to Rachel, the dull monotone replacing my cheerful voice from only seconds before.

She nods and we head back into Luke's room. We find the three boys, Luke's mom and Lola already crowded room, along with a doctor holding a clip board. I glare briefly at Lola before directing my attention to the guy in the lab coat.

"Is that everyone?" He asks, Mrs. Hemmings replying with a nod. "The tests gave the result we already knew, that the coma was due to high impact trauma to his brain. Now was we couldn't get from the tests was how severe the damage was. Now that means two things. We don't actually know if he will wake up, though typical comas only last for 2-4 weeks. And if he does awake, the damage could cause some major damages to his memory, and he could have permanent disabilities."

My vision suddenly went very blurry and I couldn't breathe. I could feel my hands gripping my head, but at the same time it's like nothing was there at all.

There is a very real possibility he may never wake up.

There is a very real possibility he forgets everything.

There is a very real possibility he dies.

There is a very real possibility I lose the best thing that has ever happened.

There is a very real possibility I lose the one I love. Forever.

Don't fall in love, there's just too much to lose

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Late this is. Sorry I am.

❄ so on top of the three inches of snow on the ground, we get another 8 fucking inches!! It's March God damnit!  ❄

So I uh... I kinda know where this fanfic is gonna end.... yeah...

xx

Noelle