Chapter 5 ~ Michael

"MICHAEL NO!"

A gasp tore from throat as I jolted up from my nightmare, my eyes trying to register what I had just witnessed. My lungs trying to take in the oxygen it so desperately needed as my chest rose up and down rapidly in time with my ragged breaths. My mind was spinning as it tried to come to grips with reality, my eyes shooting around the unfamiliar room that was now my bedroom. The rays of the early sunrise tore its way through the sheets that I was temporarily using as curtains, and the boxes were stacked up in the corner of the where I left them the night before after helping my mum bring everything in and settle down.

What the fuck was that? This was the third night of nightmares I'd had, but none of them had ever felt like this, even the one in the car. It felt so real, too real. Her scream... I'd never heard anything so painful, so animalistic in my life. It was like she'd just had her heart torn out of her chest. Her bright red hair was wild like she had been running her hands through it in panic; it was still flowing around her as she rammed herself against the cell door. I put my hands to my head and rub my eyes roughly, trying to picture her other features that I could see through the bars, but they all faded into a blur. Come on Michael think! Her eye colour, the shape of her mouth, if she has a mole near her eye... God fucking damnit! Who is she?!

I look down at my brand, a sharp pain running over the curve of each letter making me clench my teeth automatically. Son of a...

"Mike sweetie? Are you up?" My mum asked, her voice muffled by the door. I take a deep breath, settling the shaking of my body that I hadn't realised had even started. Huh, must be the adrenaline.

"Yeah, just give me a second." I call, removing my hands from my face and pulling back the sheet. The cold air hitting my bare chest and legs.

"Okay, hurry though, the Bacon's going to get cold and you've got school soon." Bacon? Hell yes! Exactly what I need to calm my nerves.

"Why didn't you say there was Bacon before?!" I laugh, pulling on my black skinny jeans and a random blue shirt, quickly running my hand through my hair. Eh, it'll do. I open the door, grabbing my bag on the way out and run downstairs. I might seem like a 3 year old, but hey there's Bacon!

"Calm down, it's still hot. You're acting like I don't feed you!" My mum laughs when she spots me, scooping some bacon onto the plate, accompanied by some beans and sausages. I roll my eyes, dropping my bag near the door, before picking up the plate and walking over to the table we set up last night.

"I'm a growing guy, I can't help it!" I defend, taking a bite of the bacon. "Not that I'm complaining but where did you get the food? We only moved yesterday."

"No talking with your mouth full Michael Gordon Clifford, and we have a store just down the road. It opens early, so I thought why not treat my favourite son on his first day." She grabs her cup of coffee, one sugar, plenty of milk, and sits across from me.

"Mum I'm your only son." I state, raising my eyebrows as I start on the sausages.

"It's the sentiment that counts." She smiles, before reaching over and running her thumb under my eyes. "You're getting bags again sweetie, how much sleep did you get?"

I pull back slightly and look down at my plate that was practically empty. Man how quick did I eat? The girls scream runs through my mind again, making my brand to flare up and my fingers twitch, as if their only aim was to find the girl that scream belonged to and hold her. Fuck, what's happening to me?

"I'm fine mum, just felt a bit weird sleeping last night. I was in a new room after all." She pulls back and looks me over for a second with a misty expression, a small smile appearing on her face.