CHAPTER 15 : Part 2

Bondita's p.o.v

Indeed he said he's not disappointed with me, but I know him better. I know he's not happy about it. I know he's severely disheartened to know about it. I know he feels depressingly betrayed! He smiles at me, blinks at me in assurance, cracks jokes in front of me... but I know it's not the same inside. I know he isn't what he manifests to be. Deep down, he knows that too... That I can feel him no matter what. And may be that's why every moment we share nowadays ends both of us in a weird state.

"Boudi! Kahan kho gaye ho?"

A shriek from Batuk snapped me out of my thoughts. He stared back at me questioningly, wiping off the curry that accidently fell on his lap.

"Maaf karna Batuk" I muttered uninterested.

Ditching the bowl of curry, I decided to sit and try eating for the sake of others. But before I could sit and start, Tappu called me out.

"Bondita! Tumne vada kiya tha na mere liye Sandesh banaogi aj? Kahan hai Sandesh?"

"Arre haan! Rasoyi mein hai, mein lekar aati hoon" I informed and went to take it.

When I came back, it was as though a hurricane has hit the dining area. The silence was kind of confounding. Did I miss something?

"Sab... theek hai na?" I asked out loud.

"Kyun? Tumhe kya lag raha hai?" Pati babu snapped.

I narrowed my brows but chose to shrug it off for the moment. Everybody shared glances before continuing with their food. Everything looked uncanny today. Even the seating positions. As usual, Sasur Ji sat at the head of the table. To his right were Somu dada, Laya, Batuk and Rudhi. Usually Pati babu sits to his left with either me or Tapas following him but today, he chose to sit on the second seat, leaving Tapas to sit beside Sasur Ji.

Without another word, I marched towards Tappu who sat like a little kid going to have toffee for the first time in his life. He beamed happily when I served him first and started savouring it as though his life depended on it. What is wrong with everybody?!

"Tum itni ajeeb vyavahar kyun kar rahe ho?" I enquired.

"Ajeeb?" he enquired, still mouthful.

"Kuch zyada hi khush lag rahe ho" I pointed out.

He laughed heartily and replied.

"Tumne banaya hai, woh bhi mere liye... Bohot swadisht bhi hai toh kya mein ab khush bhi nahi ho sakta?"

KSJ and Sasur Ji chuckled together, the former shaking his head while the others shared looks of humour before resuming with their eating. As for Pati babu, he immediately froze to his seat, glaring at Tappu in deep thoughts. I ignored the unnatural behaviour of everyone and continued serving the dessert. Pati babu's turn came last. I purposely did it that way because the last ones were made especially for him – according to his tastes. I was about to serve him when he interfered.

"Nahi chahiye mujhe"

"Kyun? Meine toh apkeliye -"

"Mann nahi hai mera Bondita... Lekar jao please"

"Lekin Pati babu-"

"Ugh!" he took a sip of his coffee and scrunched his face in distaste.

"Kya hua Pati babu?" I kept beside the plate of Sandesh for the time being.