5 ➤ True Mate

ELEANOR FOLLOWED ANTHONY down the crowded streets of the human city. After they stopped at a brick building, he pulled open the door and motioned for her to head in first. Once inside, Eleanor wrapped her arms around herself.

"Where are we?" She felt a lump in her chest when her eyes fell upon the female standing just feet away from her in the corridor. "No." She whirled around and tried to run out of the building, but Anthony stood in her way. He held her by the shoulders as she shook her head, tears streaming down her face.

He grasped her chin and tilted her head back for their eyes to meet. "Just give her an opportunity to tell her side of the story, Eleanor."

"I don't want to speak to her, please."

He leaned his forehead against hers. "Okay."

When he looked over her shoulder, Eleanor spared a glance at the woman who stood, hand against her full even lips, staring back at her with glistening eyes. Perhaps, Eleanor should have been elated to finally have her mother with her, but she wasn't. It just made everything seem more real.

Her mother had left her for a man.

What mother would do such a thing?

"Eleanor-"

Now, she stood inches away. When she stretched her hand toward Eleanor's cheek, Eleanor took a step back.

"You have grown so much."

Eleanor looked behind her mother to find about six young men standing feet away, staring at them with curiosity. She turned, pushed Anthony out of the way and ran out of the building, not sparing a glance at her mother.

As she ran like a crazed woman down the streets of the city, some humans glanced at her, but she didn't stop. She couldn't face reality. All this time she had believed her mother had died in a car accident...believed she was the best mother in the world.

She had been living a lie her entire life.

She halted, trying to catch her breath. As she ran her trembling hands through her disheveled hair, she couldn't stop the sobs from escaping her lips. Neither could she stop the tears. When someone placed a hand on her shoulder, she had no idea how, but she could sense it was Anthony before she faced him. Without a word, he pulled her into an embrace.

"I know it must be difficult for you."

"Nothing excuses what she did...nothing."

Her eyes narrowed in confusion when the cold breeze brought with it a sweet aroma, making her inhale. "Do you smell that?"

Her brother pulled back and glanced around. "No. Come on."

She took a step back and shook her head. "You didn't tell me she would be there. You lied to me."

"I never said she wouldn't either—I'm sorry, okay. I knew if I mentioned she was here with me and some of the group members, you wouldn't have agreed to come." When she didn't move, he stepped closer and grabbed her shoulders. "Eleanor, no one will hurt you. Our grandfather is a changed man, he is aiding rogues who need protection...also half-breeds."

"Half-breeds don't exist."

"I beg to differ." At the slightly husky voice, Eleanor turned to face a short, dark-haired female. Her electric blue eyes stood out against her sun-kissed skin. The female smiled as her eyes glowed red, and parted her lips enough for Eleanor to see her incisors.

Vampire, Eleanor thought.

"Half-Vampire," the female whispered. "I'm also a mermaid." With a smile, the girl stretched her hand out for Eleanor to shake it. Reluctantly, she did. "I'm Vicky and you must be Eleanor. You look just like Lucius."