Chapter 31 - Lies

As I was approaching my house I thought of turning around and running away from Mom as I couldn’t face her, but where would that get me? I sighed heavily as I turned the door handle and stepped inside, everything was silent. I held my breath, slipping off my Ugg’s and edging towards the kitchen. Mom came into view, she was sat at the island, an empty mug of what used to be coffee beside her. She looked up at me and gestured for me to sit down, still not breathing a word.

“Mom.” I began, climbing onto the high, spinny chairs that were tucked underneath the table to the island. I sat on the one opposite her. “Mom.” I repeated myself. “How long have you known?”

“Three days.” She looked up at me. “Jack told me. But I was waiting for you to tell me.”

I held my breath when she mentioned Jack’s name. I still couldn’t believe I’d reacted so much to when he wouldn’t leave me alone. I had never got that heated up before. “I’m sorry… I was just… scared…”

“Why didn’t you tell me?” I could feel how disappointed she was, which broke me.

“I didn’t want to hurt you.”

“Trust me, you’ve hurt me so much more than by not telling me.” She shook her head, dipping her head back down to the table.

“Mom, I’m so sorry. I was in such a bad place, I wasn’t ready for a baby, I didn’t want anyone to know…”

“This is my fault.” She sniffed.

“What? No it’s not! How?” I gasped, holding her forearm.

“You’re sixteen Regan, sixteen and pregnant, what kind of mother does that make me? What mother raises her child to become like that!?” She laughed slightly and rubbed her eyes. How could she take the blame on herself? I wanted to cry.

“No, Mom! How dare you! Listen to me, I got rid of it, it’s all sorted, okay? This is not your fault and trust me, it will never, ever happen again.” I moved closer to her, hugging her. She hugged me back which I was surprised of. If I had a daughter like me I would probably throw myself in front of a train.

A/N So I hope you're enjoying the fanfic so far :) Also, thank you for 400+ reads!! Literally what.