CHAPTER 13 - Of Fire Against Earth

Start from the beginning

I had also missed the opportunity to inform Prince Nova about the conspiring mystery man, I had heard talking on the staircase. My face must have given away my awry thoughts as she asked, "What's wrong, Eleni?"

"Nothing. I was just..." My sentence was stopped short as I saw a tall figure from over her shoulders, approaching us. My heart thumped loudly, with a feeling of delight mingled with dread.

Una turned too following my gaze, and I felt her body go stiff, similar to the intruder's.

"Hey, Doran," I waved awkwardly and cursed myself for the dumbness.

"I thought you left," he said with a rough voice and a wary glance at the Defensor at my side.

Una looked between us; her face genuinely twisted with confusion. Awkward.

"So," Una spoke finally, "you friends?"

Doran's eyes met mine, the intensity in them made me blink, and before I could answer, he did, "Of course. But it seems like Eleni maintains a balance of good and bad friends." He was sporting a clear smirk now.

I could sense the cutting tension in the air, as both the royals were eyeing each other with blazing eyes.

"Oh, clearly. We all know who the bad one is, Fire Prince." She spat the last words like one throws a dagger well-aimed.

She had made it very clear, in the short span of time that I knew her, that she, like the entire Autumn Realm, hated the sight of any Fire Elemental, and I was getting a burning demonstration of it. The feeling was mutual for them, as I clearly understood.

Doran stood higher looking at her with deadly eyes, his lips quivering with anger, I had never seen before.

I knew I had to intervene and moved forward to stand between them, my arms opened wide, "If it helps, you're both my good friends." I laughed awkwardly.

But their eyes were still affixed onto each other, tensed and suspicious. The feud was serious.

"This doesn't concern you, Eleni, step back," Una commanded and I pursed my lips taking a step back, hesitantly.

"Oh, it does concern her, alright, earthling," uttered Doran, with a scowl, "She clearly doesn't know who to make friends with."

I raised a brow at him slightly offended, but he didn't even spare me a glance.

"And what are you, her guardian?" Una took a step closer to him, her scowl matching Doran's.

"Uh, folks, I am standing right here," I raised my voice a bit, frowning involuntarily, and that got their fickle attention.

He said looking at me, "Eleni's smart enough to take care of herself, but I'd suggest her," he turned his gaze to Una, "being mindful of freaks."

"Well, if you're so perfect," Una tilted her head faking innocence, "why have we never met in the ring of the Conquest yet?" She batted her eyelashes at him coyly.

I froze on the spot, staring at Una with open mouth. She had stung him with the most venomous arrow in her arsenal. This was going downhill faster than any ship that had sunken in the Arborika. I slowly moved my head to look at Doran. 

My heart sank as I saw his face, it was void of any expression, but his eyes betrayed his feelings. I opened my mouth to speak to him, but closed it, not wanting to fuel his already flaming fire. This was getting scary.

"Er, Una, can you take me to my embassy?" I stuttered in a desperate attempt to stop this disaster of a meet-cute. She didn't answer. Heavens knew how much I needed Serena here, she would have known the right thing to say.