Chapter 5

A sigh of relief escapes Kirks lips and I can see smiles all around.
Except from Spock.
I do understand why he doesn't trust me, why should he? I've only helped them once and for most people , that isn't enough to form a bond of trust.
But I will gain their trust, I need their help. You have to risk something in order to gain something, I suppose the thing I'll be risking is my life.
A life for a life.. seems fair.

"Captain, I think now would be the best time to question the intruder, gain more details about her motives and"
Spock says before Kirk interrupts him with "She saved our lives Spock, I think that at least earns her the benefit of the doubt. We will question her, just not here. We'll wait until we get to base."

"Taking me in to a higher power?" I ask
"This type of situation is extremely rare...this is the best option for all of us, especially if you want to get home as soon as possible." Kirk answers.
"I understand." I say with a head bob.
"For now though, we must arrange some...accommodation for you." Kirk says turning to look at a screen.
Whilst waiting patiently, I lean into Spock and say "Bet you want me to sleep in a cell, don't you?"
I hear a few smirks but he doesn't look impressed.
I attempt to suppress a smile and my eyes find the floor.
"The only room with a spare bed is Checkov's temporary replacement. After the 'incident' he was forced to move into the other room. We could move Sulu into the temp room with Checkov and you could go into the old room..." Kirk says whilst still looking at the screen.
"Oh no it's fine, I don't want to mess anyone about. I'll just go wherever. You don't need to move anyone." I reply quickly.
"It is against protocol to have opposite sex..." Spock starts before getting interrupted by the sudden absence of light.
"Are we under attack?" Kirk asks hurriedly.
"No, we just have a temporary loss of power. Stabilisers and gravitational systems are still online using the back up generators but pretty much everything else is offline." Sulu says whilst reading off a glitchy screen.
"So basically, we're stranded?" I ask.
"Basically." Kirk replies.
"We have the emergency distress signal that has been sent out as protocol when any ship is running on back up power, with the closest docking station, we should be stuck here for about... 9 hours at least." Sulu states.
"What about the shield things? Are they still up or are we going to just be sitting ducks?" I ask, rhyming unintentionally.
"No, they're still up, but only strong enough to take a few hits off of an average size attack ship." Sulu answers.
"Well, looks like all we can do now is wait. We are in Starfleet air space, we should be safe." Kirk explains.
"Should be?" I ask with feelings of doubt.
"Yep, Mr Chekov, would you escort Miss Catherine here to your quarters. You have yourself a temporary new roommate." Kirk says with a sly smile growing on his face.

After going through a series of long corridors that are all shaded with the identical colourless white, Chekov finally stops at a room that is pretty much the same as most of the others "This is my room." he says as he walks through the automatic sliding doors.
"Nice." are the only words that escape my lips.
"This will be your bed." he says hurriedly as he pats his hand on the one in the far left corner. The other bed is on the right with about a six foot gap in between. Their is a table further back with two chairs and a wardrobe on either side at the foot of the beds.

I can tell he's nervous as his eyes keep meeting the floor. I'm used to sharing rooms with the opposite sex, I mean, I'm on a team with three other men and we've even had to share a lot more so to me, with a six foot gap, this is nothing.

His awkward gestures make me smile a little. I remember the time when o was like that.
"I'm sorry, does it make you feel uncomfortable to be sharing a room with a girl?" I ask with a calm voice.
His face goes red immediately and I almost regret asking him, but it seams to get him talking and he manages to relax a little.
*****
"What? You really did that?!" Chekov asks in disbelief. We are sat on the same bed and have been talking for a good hour about anything and everything.
"Yep, I still have the scar, look." I reply as I pull up my sleeve to reveal my elbow.
"Yeah, now that I think about it, maybe it wasn't the best idea I've ever had..." I continue with a laugh.
Once the laughter does down, I can sense what is coming next.
"So what's it like? Being in a place out of your own time? If you don't mind me asking..." he says with each work getting quieter as if he is regretting what he is saying as the words come out of his mouth.
It hasn't even been one day yet and I miss my family and friends. I know that if I tell him that though, that would be a sign of weakness, and I can't afford to be weak, not yet.
"...Lonely." are the only words I can muster because from somewhere deep inside of me, these feelings just...appear. It has only been a day and I'm already lonely? I don't fully understand. Maybe it's because I know that the chances of seeing my loved ones again are slim to none.
He just nods along, as if trying to imagine what it would be like, to be in a strange place and have nothing but the clothes on your back.
Suddenly I feel exhausted, drained of all energy and Chekov knows it before I do, he's moved back to his bed already and I he says "Goodnight Catherine, sleep well."
A small smile appears on my face "Goodnight." I reply.