Obsession

Chapter 1

Dark Obsession

Alex let out a sigh as he scanned the empty surroundings. They were devoid of life, unless you considered the scattered homeless people lying amongst the thrown out boxes, and in this society not many did. He stamped his foot in frustration, angry at the idea of another wasted day. He positioned his hand as a viser trying to will his eyes to the end, fifty metres away, an act which he immediately reporended, noticing as always that the sun was unable to breach the tall, skyward buildings on either side. This shade seemed unnatural, and caused alex some disdain, it made him lose track of time and despite the days youth yawned believing it was already time for dinner. It had been like this for the past few weeks. Every night he would see this woman attacked and savagely murdered, and every day he would come only to find the empty alley way, that stunk of dried urine and stale food something he was sure the homeless people were responsible for. Alex wasn’t superstitious, but something told him this woman from his dreams was real, and that he had to save her. So it was that he would come to the alleyway, once at night and once during the day, only finding the sight that lay before him, not even traces of a struggle. Yet still, when his eyes closed for the day he would see her.

Every dream started with a grey metallic door set against a rugged brick wall. He would stare vacantly for a few seconds until hearing a click, the door handle would turn and she would step through into the night. She would look directly at him, but not only that she would look through him as well. That was how he would know he was only observing the scene, which worried him more than anything. Alex watched as her hazel eyes pierced through the night, hovering over every shadow, crack and crevice. Once the way was clear Alex would see her begin down her path again. The dream would fade in and out at this point and he would only see fragments of her journey to the alley way yet one thing he was always sure of was that she would stop right before entering.

This dream had been repeating itself for the last three months, pushing Alex to the borders of insanity. When it first started Alex would scream out for her to stop, but lately he had begun realizing it was pointless. He could not stop her in the dream, which is why he tried to stop her in real life. It was only a few weeks ago that Alex had distinguished the alley way down his road as the one from the dream. The similarities were too strong to the point where the dream may have even warped to fit the place. He took another look down. He had never walked through the alley way, he dared not to. Besides, he thought. What was the point when he could see the end of it anyway? He closed his eyes shut willing his brain to give him entry to the rest of the dream.

He saw her there again, at the entrance of the alley way trying to decide. It seemed to Alex as if she had made up her mind and began walking; this was the part that had really plagued him. He was no longer following her in the dream instead now he was at the end of the alley way watching her come to him. He would see her walk towards him, long blonde hair falling down her back. Her red dress caught in the wind, thrashing frantically in the night. From where he was he could see the two figures waiting for her, one on either side. They seemed to be made of shadow, for the light cascaded none of their own. One was concealed behind the stack of boxes that currently resided a few homeless people and the other was crouching hidden behind a dumpster. Alex knew, but she did not.

Alex’s eyes shot open. He did not want to see the rest of the dream, once a night was enough. He knew what would happen; the two shadows would savagely rip through her flesh allowing only her scream to stay alive through the night. Alex had seen a shrink for help a few days ago yet the response was anything but enlightening. He had been told that the dream most likely involved his child hood and his abusive father, meaning the woman represented his mother when he was a child. Alex saw no resemblance between the two but nodded and agreed, simply throwing the pills away a few days later. Frustrated from another failure Alex swore aloud. He had his theory’s that the night was looming closer and closer. What he would do when it came was another mystery all together.