18

"Hands out palms face each other." Baghra instructed. Anya watched as Alina held her hands out in front of her. Baghra had come to the decision that in order for the girls to harness their powers they would train together seeing as they amplify each other.

Alina managed to produce a small ball of light before it quickly faded away, which in doing so gave Baghra the chance to smack Alina.

"Ow!"

"Again!" She demanded.

This went on for a good few hours with both girls taking turns trying to call their powers and getting smacked by Baghra went they couldn't.

"You're not sleeping enough. Not nearly enough." Was the last thing she said to them before dismissing them for the day.

~

Anya and Alina sat at the dining table together the latter leaning on the others shoulder.  Marie and Nadia sat on both sides of them looking at the girls with sad looks.

"One time, Baghra released a hive of bees on me" Marie began in hopes of trying to cheer the girls up. Alina lifted her head off of Anya's shoulders giving Marie a puzzled look.

"Worst part is, it worked."

"It really did." Nadia added.

"I could summon at will after that." Anya learned forward placing her head in her hands.

"That's really not helping guys."

"Sorry." They both muttered.

"What I don't get is why you're struggling so much Anya." Marie says placing a comforting hand on her shoulder.

Anya knew exactly why, because of what she did to Ivan and the Fjerdan. Whatever that was that took over her it didn't feel like, her. It felt like something had taken control of her body and she could only watch as it reeked havoc.

"Anyway it doesn't matter." Alina states drifting the conversation away from Anya seeing how uncomfortable she was.

"Once Mal gets here, it will be better. He's seen me through everything. He'll know the right thing to say to get me through this."

Marie and Nadia perked up at the new name uttered while Anya leaned back in her seat giving Alina a knowing smirk.

"Is he the friend from Keramzin? The tracker?" Anya smirked watching Alina cheeks glow a scarlet red.

"Mal?" Marie smirks.

"Oh? Is he handsome? He is, isn't he? I can tell by the way you say his name." Nadia gushes to an even more red Alina.

"It's not like that." Alina quickly denies.

"Sure..." Marie drawls out "and Anya isn't a thing with General Kirigan." It was Anya's turn to blush. She slunk down in her seat feeling her cheeks heat up.

"What?!" Alina chuckles surprised by this new piece of information.

"We've been together for awhile now." Anya awkwardly says biting her lip refusing to meet the three girls gazes.

"When is this strapping lad coming?" Nadia asks laughing at Anya.

"I've invited him so...any day now." Alina answers.

"Make sure he's announced so we can be with you when he arrives." Nadia chuckles. All Anya can do is smile enjoying the slice of normalcy.

~

Anya felt a smack against her hands as she tried to summon the power within her.

"Ow!" She exclaims glaring at Baghra.

"You can barely summon it! How do you expect to bring down the fold with that useless attempt?"

Anya jumped from her seat turning around, her breathes heavy as if she was gasping for air. She grasp her hair with her hands trying to calm herself. She felt the voices start to creep into her mind.

"Stop, stop, stop." She whispers clenching her eyes shut. Baghra watches observing the way Anya acted.

"Almost there..." Baghra thought. "She just needs one final push."

"Tell me what happened in the woods....with the Fjerdan." Anya let out a silent gasp freezing on the spot. She lowered her hands slowly not daring to turn to Baghra.

"What?"

"Do you think I'm stupid girl? I saw what happened at dinner with Ivan. When they brought you in they mention one of the Fjerdan attackers was reduced to ash." Baghra explains stepping closer ever so slightly.

"So tell me...what happened?" Anya's breathing staggered and her lip began to quiver. A tear drop rolled down her cheek as she thought back to that night.

"I don't know what's happening to me." She whispers after a moment. "I can't control it....all I know is that when it comes....people get hurt."

Baghra ever so gently turns Anya around to look at her. Anya was always known to be the brave solider, unafraid of anything including the fold itself. But as Baghra watched the tears fall from her eyes she didn't see a brave solider. She saw the same scared little girl she met when she was first brought to the Little Palace.

"What happened?" Baghra asks again more sternly. Anya shakes her head backing away from Baghra, her arms wrapped around herself.

"I don't want to talk about it!" She cries shaking her head.

"What do you think I can do for you if you won't tell me?"

"I don't know!" She exclaims turning away.

"Yes, you do! Did you kill him!?"

"Please!" Anya pleads crouching to her knees.

"Answer the question!"

"Stop! You're making me angry!"

"Good! I want you to be angry! Show me what happens when you're angry!" Anya could feel the power building up inside her.

"Show me!" Anya grasped her head trying to keep the power contained.

"Show me!"

"STOP!" Anya stands revealing herself to Baghra. She gasp at the sight. Anya's eyes were a blazing yellow and her veins lit up her arms and face almost looking like it was cracking. Baghra stepped forward wiping the tears from Anya's face.

"There she is." She whispered "Welcome. That tea should be taking effect now."

"What?" Anya whispers. That was the last thing she said before she felt her mind be overcome with whatever was in that tea Baghra had her drink earlier.