The Sims

When I was younger, I loved video games. I would play for hours on end and refuse to socialize with others or go outside. Out of all of my games, The Sims was my favorite. I used to play it to death. I remember getting the original game when it came out in 2000. When I turned thirteen, I found out that my mother gave away my copy of the game and being too young to get a job, I couldn’t afford to buy another copy and she refused to give me money to buy any more video games. It pissed me off but I couldn’t do much about it.

About a year ago, I felt like seeing if I could find another copy of it to play just for the nostalgia. I combed through a few flea markets and found nothing. I was about to give up at the last one and just go home but wanted to check at one last place. I found a copy of The Sims Double Deluxe for sale and asked the person how much he wanted for it. I was made an offer of $12.00. I examined the disk and other than some tiny scratches on the bottom of it, the disk seemed to be in fair condition. As I looked over the game and read the advertisement on the jewel case the game came in, the seller lowered his price to $10.00, insisting that I looked like I really wanted it. Without hesitation, I reached into my pocket and handed the man $10.00 and left.

After I got home from the flea market, I immediately went to my computer to install it. I had not played The Sims since I had my Windows 98 back when I was considerably younger. I went through the vaguely familiar installation process, which required me to input the serial code. After a few minutes, the game was up and ready to be played. I recalled that Double Deluxe was basically The Sims and the first two expansion packs combined. I fired up the game and after watching the familiar intro, I was ready to play.

Upon loading up the neighborhood, I saw an arrow pointing to a house. As it turned out, it was a tutorial on how to play the game. Because it was years since playing, I did the tutorial. I had to guide a Sim named Bob Newbie by getting him a chair, having him interact with his surroundings, and get him a job. Once I completed the tutorial, I looked to see if there were any other families. As it turned out, there was the Goth family living next door to the Newbies. I decided that I would try to make a family.

When I looked at the family creation screen, I saw some families that were pre-made. One of them stuck out though. This family was called the Johnson family. It had 8 different Sims in it, consisting of 5 adults and 3 kids. What seemed a bit strange was the fact that the family had $100k where every other family listed only had $20k. I also did not remember a Johnson family being in the original game, unless it was something unique to Double Deluxe. Regardless, I picked this family and moved into 2 Sim Lane, which set me back about $50k. I began to furnish the house, spending a lot on various items, ultimately using a $300 cot for a bed instead of the more expensive double beds for the extra man.

My first order of business was to check the names of each family member and their bios. Their bios were very unusual to say the least. They talked about various weird obsessions that they supposedly had. Nothing morbid or anything, but just not something I think a normal person would be into. I then checked to see if any of them were employed. As it turned out, the three men of the family had jobs as a Judge, a President, and an Astronaut. All three had a job performance of excellent. As for the two women of the household, they were unemployed, and all three children had an A+ in school. It seemed that the men made plenty of money while the two women could care for the two girls and one boy. I played the Johnson family for about five minutes before I quit. I saved my game and quit for the day.

The next day, I saw something very strange with the Johnson family. Their bios seemed to have changed from talking about their bizarre obsessions to being just downright creepy. One of the bios read that a member of the family would take pictures of people and edit them to be pale and without eyes. Another writes children’s stories but hides disturbing images in his books. The bios were just flat out weird now. Suddenly, I took notice that the young boy’s Hunger need was very low. But before I could get him food, he curled up and died. Then, the Grim Reaper came to claim the child. I had one of the Sims plead with him, only to get ignored. The young boy was taken away, leaving an urn at the spot he died.