𝓔𝓹𝓲𝓼𝓸𝓭𝓮 76: 𝓞𝓾𝓻 𝓕𝓲𝓻𝓼𝓽 𝓑𝓲𝓰 𝓕𝓲𝓰𝓱𝓽

April 18, 1982

I've never seen Mattéo clean so quickly. Some of his friends, Adam, Milton, and Pablo, last names unknown, were visiting. From what I've heard, when Mattéo was slogging through life after the war, these men helped him through the hardships and struggles of life.

He was so excited to see them again and to be honest I was too. These men pretty much molded Mattéo into the man I married. If they hadn't helped him I wouldn't have ever looked twice at him. Ham and Josey Junior would never have been born.

Speaking of the children, they were both walking and talking now. Well, talking as in saying 'mama' and 'dada' and some other words that I don't think I understand yet.

Then there is Victoria. She is flying through school, she has made so many new friends as well. I think sending her to school was one of my finer decisions. She also I think has a full-fledged crush on the Persian Shah, Ali-Reza as I've overheard them talking over the phone for the past few months. I've intercepted and read a few of their letters and picked up on some mild flirtation. Victoria has never admitted to anything though. She's a clever, sneaky girl but eventually, I'll nail her and confront her.

Going back to Mattéo's friends, I am actually quite excited to meet them. I really hope they don't act like fools, especially since Mattéo is the emperor now. I elevated his status last year to emperor so that he had a bit more freedom and wasn't in my shadow anymore.

"Josey! Adam just called and said they were approaching the palace down FDR Avenue!"

A.N: Franklin Delano Roosevelt was one of the governors of York from 1933-1945, just for clarification.

"You are very excited aren't you?"

"Of course I am! These are my best friends!"

I put my hand on my hips and I stared at him from where I was sitting.

"But not more than you!"

"Yeah, good job! You saved yourself... this time!"

We both cracked a smile. I hadn't really gotten to meet these three men, not even at the reunion... three years ago. My goodness, it's been almost three years since Mattéo and I got together.

Maybe we can celebrate alone together...- what? No, I did not just think that! Josephine, you do not think about such obscene things!

I shook my head and closed the book I was pretending to read. I was too lost in thought to actually read 'War and Peace' for the twenty-fifth time.

Even after all these years, it was still my favorite book. But I was too distracted to concentrate. Mattéo paced back and forth in front of me and I looked up at him.

"Mattéo you need to stop worrying," I commented nonchalantly.

"Yeah, I know!" He shot back.

I raised an eyebrow.

"Your majesties! All preside for Corporal Pablo Martinez, Captain Milton Rogers, and Colonel Adam Amiri!" The Herald stated from the doors before they opened.

In came three incredibly well-dressed men, in military uniform. Two of them wore officers' hats, signaling their rank, and the other wore a blue beret. I quickly took note of the one in the captains' uniform, who I believe is Milton, having a lack of a right hand. It was a little irking seeing that, to be honest.

"Mattéo!" He exclaimed, wrapping his arms around Mattéo, which my husband gratefully reciprocated.

"Milton! How have you been?"