16| Just Hold On

16| Just Just Hold On

Nova

I wake up to the sound of crashing and breaking glass coming from downstairs. In a panic, I jump out of bed and look out the window. It's still night, but I can just make out a group of people masked and geared up, attacking the cabin.

Wide-eyed, I turn to Grayson, seeing him already gone. I grab the gun hidden beside my bed. Loading it and turning off the safety, I make my way down the stairs. I run into Grayson who stands there with a gun of his own.

"What the fuck is going on?" I whisper shout. Grayson looks out the windows and then back at me.

"We're under attack." He says simply, his eyes cold and serious.

"Isn't the whole point of this place to protect and prepare us for this shit?" I ask, my voice laced with anger.

Grayson shrugs and starts to move the couch against the door. I run into action and help him, making sure to stay away from the windows. Shots start to fire and we both get down, using the couch as cover. "You okay?" Grayson asks from beside me.

"Perfect," I reply with a smile. He rolls his eyes at me.

"Okay, once it's died down. Starts shooting, got it?" I nod my head.

Just like he said, I wait till the firing starts to die down so I can move from cover and shoot. I try to focus on the moving shadows, but it's hard. I fire my gun over and over, hoping I at least hit someone.

I move back into cover as the fire starts to increase, and windows smash as bullets go flying around. "Fuck!" I scream as I get hit. Grayson is by my side instantly. He grabs my arm carefully and looks at the wound. Ripping his T-shirt off, he wraps it around my arm. "It's just a graze, you'll be fine." He assures me. I nod my head and shake it off.

They throw something in the room and I watch as it rolls across the floor, landing across from us. We both look at each other, and although Grayson hides it well, I can see the slight panic in his eyes. We both stand up and run as fast as we can towards the shelter. Knowing we don't have time, Grayson wraps his arms around me and tackles me to the ground where we land behind the kitchen island. An explosion sounds around us making my ears ring. Grayson's grip never falters, his arms wrapped tightly around me and his body protecting my head from the blast.

Once we know it's clear, we look over and notice the front door is no longer protected, meaning whoever is out there, can come in. "We need to get upstairs," I say.

"Are you crazy? That will give them the advantage." Grayson shouts over the noise.

"Well we are sitting ducks here, in my room I have many more guns," I argue, looking at him desperately.

He groans looking around the room, the men now in and getting closer and closer to us. "I'm running out, I'm sure you are too," I say, mentioning the ammo.

"How many shots have you got left?" He asks. I grin at him as he rolls his eyes.

"Four. You?"

"Two."

Okay. Everything's going to be fine, we just need to get upstairs into my room and grab the guns. All without being spotted by any of the intruders. Easy.

"Right, on my count we go," Grayson commands.
He holds his fingers up as we both get into a stance ready to run the heck up as fast as we can.

Three.

Two.

One.

We both get up and sprint toward the stairs. The person in front of me turns around after hearing me, raising his gun to shoot me. I slide under his feet and fire a shot at his head. "One."