Thirty-Three

The sanctuary is intimidating without the hordes of the eccentric Stigian citizens lining up to participate in the gift amplification ceremony. Their bright clothing and outrageous hairstyles distracted from the true grandeur of the holy place. It also didn't help that every time I've set foot in here, I've been under some type of duress. But now, in the dead of night, it is a spectacular sight.

The ceiling looms high above my head, and the aisle leading to the dais is an infinite path of glossy black marble. Candles burn in white candelabras along the walls and the moon shines through the enormous, arched stained-glass windows. Two white thrones embossed with leaves, fire, and other depictions of the powers given by the Statera sit center-stage. Yet it is the tier above the dais which is a breathtaking spectacle.

A waterfall flows inside the building. The steady stream brings a sense of calm and is at home among the ornate white and black décor. Bathing beneath the water is an enormous marble statue of Esmeray. The artist depicted the queen in nothing more than a strip of fabric which clings and winds down her hourglass figure. She cups her hands, raising them above her head, and the stone in her palms reminds me of fire, glinting red and orange. The Posseda.

I climb the dais and bypass the thrones for one of the two staircases curving upward to the waterfall. To the side of the statue is a lever protruding from the ground. I'm unsure what possesses me to do it, but I pull the handle toward me. Smooth stones slide against each other as the likeness of Esmeray lowers her arms and presents me with the Sacred Gift in her hands.

The Posseda is the eye-catching counterpart to the Eporri. Unlike the ten-petal flower design of the stone embedded in my outer thigh, the Posseda is cut to catch the light and sparkle like a jewel. I pick it up and study the way it almost covers my entire palm. This rock is the reason for the division in our land. Without the Posseda, Khiros wouldn't have a way to siphon the power of Cyffreds. Kingdoms wouldn't divide families, and Pliris would still exist.

Even now, the stone causes issues. Kyron suspended the daily amplification ceremony, stating those Stigian who aren't warriors should spend the ceremony time in meditation until the queen is returned. Guards stand watch outside the sanctuary, keeping those addicted to the rush of power away. The same can't be said for the palace. Those going through withdrawals have grouped together and wail outside the gates at all hours, begging Kyron to resume the practice. Little do they know, the prince despises the amplification ceremonies and would stop them forever if he could.

I carry the Posseda down to the next level and sit on a throne. As my thumb strokes along the sharp edges, I listen to the rushing water. It relaxes me, and my eyes flutter shut as my mind calms. The Posseda and Eporri give off a satisfied purr like they are overjoyed to be together again. I focus on their combined power and offer all my worries to the Statera.

I don't know if the energy fueling all beings will give me the guidance I need, but it doesn't stop me from asking. One by one, I meditate with my shortcomings in mind, hoping for the answer to overcome them. I concentrate on the pain of losing Micah, and my grudge against the Allaji, which keeps me from wanting to negotiate with them. I seek wisdom to do what's right not only for Lucent, but Stigian as well. My thoughts vere toward wellbeing of my friends and soldiers held captive, and I pray for their safe return. I want nothing more than the strength to fulfill Micah's dying wish to unify our broken kingdom and renew Pliris.

When I have given all my worries to the Statera, I release a long exhale and open my eyes.

"Hello," Kyron says from the base of the dais. He stares up at me with tired eyes and his hands in his pockets. His black tunic is rumpled, his hair disheveled, and he is the most stunning thing I've ever seen.