chapter one|birthday blues

Start from the beginning

This morning, Easton showed up to my house with a bouquet of flowers and announced he had an entire day planned for me, including that we'd be going out to the beach and then for dinner. It was meant to be just the two of us for my birthday. I had even called off plans to hangout with Arden and cancelled my shift at the bookstore.

Only the two of us.

It didn't quite work out like that.

Instead, the beach trip was cancelled because the beach itself was closed for cleaning and now our dinner plans were called to quits because of the important dinner.

His parents had said it was drastically important for his career to go and that it would be impossible to reschedule it. And, with his rare opportunity to come back from his California tour, it was a one chance thing, much more important than a stupid birthday dinner. They played the guilt card well and roped Easton into coming without any hesitation.

So, being the slight pushover I was, I told Easton to go to dinner tonight and we'd be going out tomorrow. He grabbed onto the chance immediately and promised on empty lies that he'd make it up to me.

Fat chance for that. I wouldn't be surprised if his parents called in an important brunch tomorrow as well.

I stretched my body out onto the couch for a more comfortable position. Bored out of my mind, I scrolled mindlessly through my mental checklist for this weekend. I had unfortunately finished all my chores and it wasn't as though I could exactly call anyone to hang out right now.

Arden was out with his friends—no surprise there—and Mom and Dad were still stuck down in Chicago. Apparently, Dad's conference meeting lasted longer than they had expected and wouldn't be able to make it back for my birthday. They had called and sent gifts but left me to utter boredom alone in the house.

I think I'll explode if I spend another minute cooped up in this house.

Sighing once again, I picked up my phone and slipped on my shoes. I still had time to make tonight better and much more enjoyable than staying here, even if it was by myself.

So what if no one was here tonight? I'd find a way to celebrate my birthday all by myself. Even if it meant splurging my entire wallet into one night filled with endless servings of ice cream. Better than sitting in the empty house wallowing in self pity.

Grabbing the keys, I shut the door behind me and locked it before walking down the winding paths.

The lively town instantly hit me with the bustling crowds and mindless chatter. It felt good to be around more people again, especially after spending this whole weekend cooped up in my bedroom waiting for Vaughan to come home.

I took my time walking down the paths filled with stores cramped next to each other. The crisp evening air was mixed with saltiness and the sound of a street band playing their guitars welcomed the feeling of summer.

"Evelyn!" Rikki exclaimed as I pushed open the doors to the cozy cafe."Didn't expect to see you here. Thought you'd be out with the boyfriend," her eyebrows scrunched in confusion. "What happened? Was Easton not able to make it home?"

I shook my head and maneuvered my way to the counter. "No, he did, just some sort of big business dinner came up with his parents and..."

My words trailed off as Rikki looked at me with a sympathetic look. "Had to cancel?" She finished.

I winced at her slightly accusatory words. It was obvious that both Easton and I had busy schedules, and with the time zone difference it was hard to make plans that suited the other but I had often blinded myself on how bad the situation had gotten until now.