CHAPTER 9 - Of a Thrilling Duel

Start from the beginning

A massive blinding white light burst out of Prince Nova along with a loud boom. It was extremely bright in color and pure, rippling in nature. The entire amphitheatre felt the force of it. I had to squint my eyes as the shine coming off it was unnervingly white. And for a wild moment, it seemed as though he had disappeared, there was nothing to be seen in the brightness of his energy. But then he came into view, looking stronger than ever, as the energy shell faded.

The prince's face looked calmer this time with unwavering determination and they stared at each other for a heartbeat, and both raised their hands at the same time, but he was quicker.

He airlifted her body; I heard loud gasps all around me, since airlifting required immense power and with what Lady Una weighed in her boulder attire, she herself had been stung with the grand display of her opponent's strength. She tried to call her magic, but it was becoming difficult for her. Struggling in the air, she closed her eyes in concentration but still was unable to move her hands.

And right then, Prince Nova let his hands loose, pulling his magic away from her in a swift movement, and she fell to the ground with a snapping noise.

Serena practically screamed besides me and I took her hand in mine. My fruitcake lay fallen on the floor. At this point we both were unsure about who we were actually rooting for. The Prince looked ruthless and the Lady, wild with rage.

He again airlifted her, this time higher and released his hold again; she fell down harder this time, her pain visible.

And when he did it the third time, she seized her moment as her body touched the land, and there was a huge crack in the ground. She had created an actual earthquake. Prince Nova shook a little and just as the cracks around him increased, he airlifted himself so as not to fall in the gap she had created beneath him.

But she was one step ahead, moving closer to him, she called on her magic; a huge violet plant emerged from all sides of the Prince, exuding from the land like liquid broth. It enclosed tightly on him. He struggled but the plant maintained its force and dragged him under the ground as the branches hurriedly reclined in. He was half-submerged in the pit.

Everywhere people were rising up from their seats to get a look at Prince Nova who was going deeper into the Earth. I was on the edge of my seat, my fists clenched, one holding Serena's hands. Violette had forgotten to take notes and was just as dumbstruck as everyone, enchanted and excited with this thrilling duel.

But then, like a cannonball, Prince Nova shot out of the crack and landed in front of his opponent Defensor. His hair askew, he had murder written all over his face.

This time when he conjured up another massive tornado, Lady Una, who had her stony exterior broken into pieces by then, was thrown right out of the ring. A few moments passed and she struggled to get up.

The gong went off.

Prince Nova had won the duel.

***

"I can write pages about this." Violette looked dazed as we made our back to the Libra embassy.

"What was that shiny power move? Where did Prince Nova learn to do that?" Kevyn queried.

"I think it was all his own. He must have some tricks up his sleeves," I said thinking about his face when he was focusing entirely on his elements, looking strong and just wow...

"For a moment it felt like Lady Una was on it, but darn, the Prince just went full house."

We all nodded at Serena's imperfectly perfect summary.

"So, you know what comes next!" Serena said as she practically jumped in front of us and walked backwards still talking, "the Royal Ball."

I couldn't help but grin at that. Just a day after Prince Nova had invited us to the Gemini embassy, a royal Gemyre soldier had found us in our tent and had handed a scroll to Landon. An invitation to a Ball. Rosa again had shown startling courage and had whispered to the soldier asking for details. The soldier had smiled at her, charmed obviously, and had given us valuable information.

There could be other Houses present as well.

Everyone had practically screamed with the prospect. House of Gemini was renowned for their grand balls and they were having one here, in the majestic palace of their embassy. It was going to be simply marvelous.

All three Houses of the Winter Realm would definitely be there. Maybe even Doran and his awful father, if Summer people were invited, I had thought. It wouldn't matter if he was there or not. Right?

"So do we all have good dresses?" Rosa asked.

Serena and Violette had similar expressions of 'do-you-think-I-came-unprepared.' Kevyn and Jordan shrugged but Jorah said enthusiastically, "Are linen tunics appropriate?"

"Which color?" Serena promptly asked.

"Umm, a light blue," he said sounding a little unsure.

"That'd be great, yes," Serena nodded smilingly at him, "And, Eleni...?"

I pursed my lips, shaking my head. I had just fixated on the winter garments and nothing else.

"Knew it," Serena chuckled, "don't worry I got you." She came beside me and put an arm around my shoulders. The gesture warmed me from within.

"Yes, yes. Dress up well," Landon spoke suddenly looking grim, "but remember we are expected to be on our best behavior. As far as I know, the House of Aquarius hasn't been invited, so we need to put our best foot forward as another House of the Spring Realm." He lowered his voice and leaned a bit, "Geminis are very likely to emerge victorious, the evidence we saw today is enough for assuming that. I don't really like saying this, seeing the way our Lord Gareth was defeated in his last fight, but we might just need to make our peace with that."

I nodded solemnly just like each one of us did. Our supervisor always had the perfect way of instructing us yet letting us be. The ball was exciting yet a little dreadful, as I thought more. There would be many people, royals and warriors alike. I put my arms around Serena's waist as we continued walking to our chambers. Some of our jolliness seeped in me. At least I would have a friend with me.

***

"We can go to the seacoast some other day, my child." The man said to his daughter as they sat on their bed, studying.

He tapped on the map in her schoolbook. "Now come on focus up."

"But all I can see are the seacoasts, father." The girl pouted, her braids bouncing on her shoulders.

The man chuckled softly, pulling her close to his chest. "How about we study something else?" He closed the book and asked, "Er...tell me what do you know about the Conquest of the Throne?"

The girl thought back to her school lessons and answered with utmost seriousness, "Twelve people fight for the Throne, with magic and dragons and then solve a riddle."

The man laughed heartily at that, "You make it sound so simple."

"Have you ever seen the Conquest, father?"

He went silent for a while, gazing at the distant trees from the window.

"Yes," he sighed before adding, "I wish I had stayed for the Finale."

***

Author's note:

Thank you for reading so far. You guys are amazing!!
I just have a small question, you can answer with emojis or anyway you prefer-

How was the duel? Be honest, because you see, I have to write a few more action scenes, and it'd be great if you give me a feedback.

Also, the previous chapter and this chapter have easter eggs about Eleni's heritage. Let's see if you get it. If not then, well, Sharmee -1 , You all - 0. (Sorry, can't help myself lol)

~Happy Reading ❤✨~