Freedom

“You’re up Amelia.” Jen called through the bars to my cell interrupting my workout routine. Jen is one of the officers that was put in charge of watching me when they realized that I wouldn’t put up with the dirty cops. She's also my ex-girlfriend, we decided about a month ago that it would be a good idea to break up.

I stood up putting my hands through the small opening so she could place the cuffs on my wrist. It was finally time for me to go back in front of the judge, so he could tell me if I was getting out or if they had dug anything else up on me.

Walking into the courtroom I looked around. I didn’t know anyone in the room, which meant no one was here to pick me up. I was led to stand in front of the judge. “Amelia Moon you have fulfilled your service to the satisfaction of the court. You are hereby discharged, but don’t let me catch you in here again for racing or you’ll be doing ten years next time at minimum.”

Jen led me out to the changing room where she handed me a stack of clothes. “You’re new car is down the rom in the parking lot of the market. Now do me a favor and stay out of trouble.” She said walking me out of the room and to the front door. “Good Luck.”

“Thanks.” I said as I jogged away from the building to where she said the car would be waiting. When I found the car I was a bit let down it was a rusted out Chevy truck, but it would work long enough for me to get out of town. I just had one quick stop to make first.

Pulling into the cemetery I felt the familiar feeling of nostalgia hit, and pulled up to the family crypt. Looking left and right to make sure no one was around I pulled the key from around my neck and unlocked the gate quickly slipping inside.

Once inside I walked to the further coffin and slid it open, it was the tomb that was meant for my baby brother who had been a still born, but had been cremated instead of being put in his rightful place with the rest of the family. 

I set the bag I was holding down on the end of the crypt and started pulling the money out of the coffin. This is where I had hidden all of the money I had ever one from the races. There was about one hundred thousand dollars in there.

Once it was empty I slid the lid back one the coffin and left the way I came. Back in the truck I debated on where I was going to go. I decided to stop at a bar at the edge of town for a drink. I had no more than just sat down when a guy walked up to me.

“What’s a pretty little thing like you, doin’ in a place like this?” He asked sitting on the barstool next to me.

“Trying to figure out where to go next I guess.” I replied without looking up.

“Why not pick with a dart, that’s what most people do here.” He said nodding over to the map hanging on the wall. It looked like quite a few people had used the method before.

“Where are the darts?” I asked looking around not seeing any.

“Well you have to pay for those, so when it’s time for the map or the wall to be replace the money is there.” The bartender said wandering back over to where I was. “Think of it as a down payment to freedom. Just three buck for three darts.” He stated pulling three out.

I handed him a dollar, “I just need one. I don’t really care where I end up as long as it’s far away from here.”

I grabbed one of the darts from his hand, then walked to the middle of the floor as people cleared out of the way. I grabbed my scarf from around my neck tying it over my eyes before getting ready to throw the dart. “Everyone clear?” I asked. After hearing a chorus of yeahs I drew my arm back and through the dart. After hearing the solid thump of the dart hitting the board I removed the scarf and looked toward the map. Walking over I smiled and shook my head before it turned into a full blown laugh. Pulling the dart out of the wall I tossed it onto the counter before grabbing my coat and walking out the door.