Wattpad Original
There are 16 more free parts

Chapter 63

Time Elapsed: 1:13:39

Severance lay flat on his back in a pool of his own blood. He stared numbly up at the pale, cloudless sky and wondered if Mrs Beakor would make lasagna this week. It had been a long time—well, only a few days—but to him, it felt like an eternity.

In this heat, with a parched tongue and sweat-slick skin, eating lasagna in Mrs Beakor's kitchen was a distant fantasy. A wave of regret rolled through him. How tragic. Maybe he'd never get to taste such divine food again.

A shadow fell over him. Severance blinked slowly and fought to focus blurry eyes upon it. It was only Batin. The Veiled man crouched and held out one of Severance's war fans.

"You may heal yourself now."

Ah. How very nice.

Severance reached up with a shaky arm and snatched the fan before Batin could even think about changing his mind.

Several Mends later, Severance felt... better. He still didn't feel like moving though, even if it was getting a little sticky. He gazed up at Batin, and found himself pitying the man's kids, should he ever have any in the future.

Who knows? Maybe Olen and Bian would start a trend.

"Don't lose your focus." Batin held out the second fan.

Severance took it, and placed both in his Inventory.

"Ungh," he said. Words were such bothersome things. But the sky? That was nice.

"Severance."

It was that voice, the one that always came out so softly and gently, yet it never failed to terrify him, because he could almost see the murderous intent behind it. It crooned into his ears, caressed his bones, and loomed like a great cloud that blocked all sun, all hope, and all escape.

Severance wet his lips and unwillingly slid his gaze to Batin.

What? What did the man want now? Wasn't he done? He'd given the fans back; usually that meant he was finished with the torture. And it had been a full hour, hadn't it?

"Never let down your guard," Batin said. "That creates an opportunity for the enemy to strike."

But there is no enemy here, Severance wanted to say. They were in the middle of the desert with only sand, sun, and ruins. The only living things were him and Batin.

He knew better than to say that aloud. If Batin thought it would prove a point, the man would happily take on the role of the enemy.

Severance groaned and sat up. He rubbed at his face, smearing blood and sweat in the process, but he didn't care.

"I'll work on that."

Maybe it was his imagination, but Batin was particularly brutal this time. So much so, that he actually gained a new point in Vitality.

It almost made him wonder if the Veiled had figured out that he'd snuck off to do exactly what they warned him not to do. But it was never mentioned and Severance wasn't about to bring it up either.

"You will." It wasn't so much an agreement as it was a promise. Batin moves back, giving Severance space to get up. "Will you be training with Dhin today?"

He knows about that? Severance gave him a wary glance. No wait, of course Batin knew. The Veiled were professional stalkers. Why would he expect otherwise?

"Maybe later," he answered. "My friend messaged me earlier. We'll probably meet up next."

"Very well. Then let's return to the House. While you get cleaned up, I'll find Nedra. She can accompany you today."