Chapter Three: Game On

To say things shot straight to hell was an overstatement, depending on how you looked at it.

I'd gone all day without a single thing happening. No one knocked on my door; Krissy hadn't screamed or killed anyone. Nothing. Nada. I'm pretty sure that was a bad thing. That meant there was strategizing going on. I'm not sure if it was my demise or how to steal Jason. Either way, I'm screwed.

"Where are you?" Jason's voice interrupted my thoughts as he waved his hand in front of my face. I zoned back into the conversation we were having over dinner.

"I'm here, sorry."

"But you weren't. What's on your mind?" He wondered curiously. I chewed the inside of my cheek, considering if I should or shouldn't tell him. I knew how silly it sounded and I knew he wouldn't quite understand, but I also knew he wasn't going to let it slide either. I'd been zoning out all night and looking around as if Krissy would pop out and kill me.

"Mina saw us on the bridge. And I'm just concerned that-" Before I could finish the sentence, he cut me off with a small laugh.

"Mina isn't going to do anything. She may have loyalty to the Queen B's but she's in love with Travis. Travis happens to be my best friend and doesn't like girls who try to bring down other girls." He explained. I try to find comfort in that, but found very little comfort in it. But, because Jason believed it, I had to trust him on this. If I didn't, I'd be sitting around obsessing over who knew or didn't know and when and if someone would kill me. I didn't have time for that. Besides, classes started tomorrow and I still had other problems to deal with it. Krissy and her posse were the least of my problems.

Or so I liked to convince myself.

I sat staring into his light gray eyes focusing on the beautiful aqua flecks within them; it was like nothing I'd ever seen. A slow grin stretched across his face when he noticed my stare and I adverted my gaze.

"I thought we were having a staring contest. Clearly, you lose." He joked. I laugh a little and shake my head. This was probably the only real first date I'd went on, and I wasn't exactly sure how to act. It's not like I had a guy who was actually interested in taking me out. And when I did, he typically had an ulterior motive. This was new to me. I blame the movies. They never showed how awkward dates can be if you don't know what to do or say. Or in my case, pay attention.

"I just think your eyes are beautiful, is all." I admitted quietly, earning yet another smile from him. My heart skipped a beat, feeling something familiar from his smile. I swallowed my feelings and smiled back. I didn't need to be awkward and head over heels. I wasn't that girl. Well, I didn't want to be. But something about Jason made me feel... different.

"Thank you, but I think you win most beautiful eyes, hands down. I don't think I've ever met a girl with vibrant violet eyes." He complimented. I blushed but said my thanks anyways.

"I think it's some genetic mutation or something." I explain, although it's unnecessary. I think I was a genetic mutation. My eyes were violet and I was born with both blonde and black hair. How that even happens, one may ask. Truth is I have no damn idea. I remember being teased about my hair being blonde and black; they used to call me a skunk. Funny things is, around the beginning of high school, dyeing the under part of your hair black became popular for blondes. Then I was the cool girl who'd done it first.

"Hooray for genetically mutated eyes! Only one of my parents have blue eyes and it's my dad. When I was born, my mom did extensive research to try to find out where I would have gotten gray eyes from. But on both sides, no one has ever had them. So, I'm either a freak, or secretly adopted." He shrugged before taking a bite of his hamburger. I almost wish I were adopted. Maybe my adoptive parents wouldn't have sent me here.