Prequel: Eliana's Story II

*Disclaimer: Mentions of miscarriage, abortion and death. Reader's discretion is advised.

Two lines. Her eyes widened at the red lines on the stick.

She had been feeling rather off lately and had blamed it on the cold that both her husband and son got. The reason she even took the test was that she believed it would be negative.

But how? They had been so careful, especially after Metalicana's reaction to their first pregnancy. She took a longer time to recover compared to other mothers but all seemed well. Her condition was not as good as it was before she had Gajeel, but that was not unexpected.

Knock knock.

"Eli? Are you okay in there? You've been inside for a while now." Metalicana's voice interrupted her thoughts. Outside, she could hear the faint sounds of her son yelling about something exciting he had discovered from the toy toolbox set they got for him.

"Y-Yea." The grip on the stick in her hand tightened. She eyed the lock on the door, thankful she locked it beforehand.

"I'm taking Gaj to the kindergarten now."

Not trusting her voice to speak, she hummed a response to him. She only leaves the bathroom when she hears the sound of the engine running and disappearing off in a distance.

If she were to break this news to him, what would he say?

She has been hoping for a second child but they agreed on not having any more for the sake of her health. Yet, it cannot be said that this child is an accident.

A blessing from the ones up above, she thought to herself, caressing a loving hand over the skin of her belly. She can only hope that Metalicana would react the same way she does.

They fought. An inevitable argument between the couple.

In a relationship, there was often quibbles and disagreements but this time, it was different. There never was one as intense as this was. Gajeel was with Ur who had taken him and her kids to the zoo since they had to go to the doctor that day.

"I will not allow you to ruin yourself because of another child!" He shouted, frustrated and angry that his wife even considered going through with the pregnancy after the results of her last check-up.

Her constitution was in no way strong enough to grow another human once more. The risk of this pregnancy was higher than any other. He knows it and so does she.

"And I will not allow you to take them away from me!" Her face was red and wet. Grey eyes glaring at him with her arms wrapped protectively around her abdomen.

The room stood silent, the only sounds filling the air was the heavy breathing of the two. They held each other's gaze, neither relenting on their stand of the argument. A minute passes and Metalicana is the first to look away. No matter how angry he was, how could he not give in to the woman he loved?

His head hung low and he stood with two hands pressed on his hips. "I..." He takes in a deep breath, "I don't want that to happen either," he confessed, reaching for the couch to support the weight of the emotions rushing against him once again. "Eli, I love you and our children more than you can ever imagine. If it wasn't for our circumstances, I want nothing more than to jump for joy and see this through with you once again."

She knows that. She knows that more than anyone else.

Even so, the words they yelled across the room and the cold hard truth that her pregnancy would be a high risk one despite it being the fifth gynaecologist they had consulted that week; the stress was more than they could take.