23.) Birthdays

“Why are we here?” Kale asked suspiciously.

“It’s your birthday, silly.” I giggled as the waitress brought us our food. I’d brought Kale to the burger place that he took me to during our movie date last year, and even though it had a disastrous ending, the beginning and middle were pretty great.

“That’s just code for you had to get me out of the house so Andy and everybody else can set up the party that I said you didn’t have to throw.” Kale insisted.

I nodded. “Exactly.”

It’s been a month and a half since the Fourth of July party and bonfire, yet nothing drastic has happened. It’s been peaceful and really happy with everyone. Emily said her goodbyes but we still text from time to time, her parents seem to be adjusting to the divorce which is making it easier on her, however, the romance between Emily and Jarrod was short lived. And when I say short lived, I mean that they admitted feelings for each other, had sex, and then realized that they couldn’t have a relationship because she lives in Iowa and his decision on college was already set in stone to go to Notre Dame in Indiana. Libby and Brendon are still going strong and she’s in the middle of a heavy debate of giving him her beloved V card. Carrie still comes around to see “Andy” as she says. And Jenna and Jackson are still together, of course. I love seeing my brother so happy. And she makes him really happy.

“Well, can you tell me what to expect?” Kale asked.

I shook my head. “What kind of surprise would it be if I told you about it?”

“It’s not a surprise, you just told me that they’re working on a party.”

“Yeah, but what they’re doing is a complete surprise.” I countered. “So shut up and eat, because I’m not telling you a thing.”

He rolled his eyes playfully and popped a few fries in his mouth. “So are you ready for classes to start?”

I shrugged. “We still have a few weeks. I’ve ordered all my books, though. So I guess I’m a little ready.”

“You aren’t nervous at all?” He asked with raised eyebrows.

“I’m scared shitless.” I admitted sheepishly. “Like, what if the teachers are mean? What if the dance instructor is a demon?”

“You’ll be fine, I don’t think UCLA hires demons to teach their dance classes.”

“Yeah, I guess you’re right.” I sighed. “And we have that English class together.”

Kale nodded. “That we do.”

“I think it’ll be fun.” I said with a smile. “And then after I get all my classes organized and everything under control, I have to call Matt so I can start working on Tommy’s dances with Matt and Jen.”

“I can’t wait to see you on stage.” Kale said with a smile.

I gave him a nervous smile. “I really hope I don’t-“

“You won’t mess up.” Kale interrupted me, as if he could read my mind. “So don’t even put that thought in your pretty little head.”

I sighed and decided to change the subject because the more I thought about it, the more nervous I got. “We have to go to the college parties.”

“Why is that?”

“I want to see if they’re like what they look like in the movies.”

“Don’t the pretty girls always get drugged in the movies?”

“Only if you take drinks that are offered to you. I just won’t take any drinks from people and we’ll be good.”

“Whatever you say.” Kale sang. “Do you think Brendon and Libby will be fine?”