Chapter 13 : Steps to Recovery

Mulai dari awal

That comment got a giggle out of the girl. It made me happy getting a positive reaction from her.

"Yea, kinda..." she looks down again. "That was actually my plan for this year too."

"Until I met you."

My eyes lit up and my jaw dropped slightly.

And that was when the doctor walked into the room with a clipboard in hand, with Mags trailing behind them.

"Okay, so we are going to remove (y/n)'s burn bandages now. As I said yesterday, (y/n) will have to keep the bandages on her eyes for another week." the doctor informs us all, approaching the said girl. "May I?"

(Y/n) just nods, as she squeezes my hand tightly.

The doctor slowly starts unwrapping her face, first revealing her chin, then her lower lip, and that's when I first started to see the burn mark. The doctor continues to slowly take off the bandages, exposing the girl's upper lip, then the tip of her nose and the rest of her cheeks.

The doctor stopped at the end of this strip of bandages, right beneath the start of the eye bandages.

Right now, the burn was just a line of scabs that lined the right side of her jaw and the bottom of her ear.

The doctor told us that the scabbing is just temporary and that the burn will scar and probably leave a permanent red mark. This news made (y/n) drop her face into her hands, trying to hide it. When Mags was busy talking to the doctor about treatment they will have to do when (y/n) gets discharged from the hospital in a few days, I go to comfort the girl.

"Hey. Don't be sad. Look at me-" I try to reassure her, but she just blankly turns her head to face me. I could feel her piercing gaze through the bandages. "Oh, uhmm, bad choice of words"

"Ya think?" she sarcastically says, quirking her head to the side.

"Sorry." I say, grazing my middle finger on the line of scabs on (y/n)'s jaw. "Does it hurt?"

She turns her head in front of her. 

"No." she bluntly says.

As I continue tracing the burn and get to her chin, I see her cheeks turn slightly pink. I hold her chin with my thumb and the side of my index. Lift her face so I can clearly see it.

"It's going to be ok." I tell her. 

A tear rolls down from under the bandages. 

"Don't cry." I wipe her tear with my thumb, moving my hand to the side of her face instead of under her chin. "It'll all be fi-"

She wraps her arms around my torso, starting to sob into my shoulder. Shocked by the sudden action, I sat there for a few seconds before wrapping my own arms around her.

"Don't go"

*Time Skip - Sunday*